Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Busch Nicola Perscheid ?

Busch Nicola Perscheid ?

I found some information in a Swedish Catalogue from 1934 which surprised me. The Busch Nicola Perscheid was offered as a significantly cheaper alternative to Cooke's Series E and D (f3.5) and the Universal Heliar. First of all, the coverage given was rather different from what has been implied in previous threads here.

30cm covered 9x12 to 12x16.5
    36cm covered 12x16.5 to 13x18
    42cm covered 13x18 to 18x24 (all these are give in cms)

This is somewhat in conflict with the coverage given in various ebay listings and a single listing here (FS).

But the most interesting thing was the text at the bottom:

"These objectives are supplied together with the yellow filter which is necessary for the correct use of these objectives".

What yellow filter? I have never heard these mentioned in any listing. Is it a device for correct focussing or, as I suspect, like the Plasticca, whiere it is an integral part of the optics?

Re: Busch Nicola Perscheid ?

As I recall, Busch also made a cheaper poorly corrected "Perscheid" lens which, if remember correctly, was a triplet as opposed to the 4/2 design of the expensive "Nicola Perscheid" lens.

No this is the f4.5 Nicola Perscheid - there is both the full name given in the title and the text on the illustrated lens rim can be seen. The data match with the VM described 1935 model. Perhaps it was only the later faster version which had the standard yellow filter? It was an expensive objective but still only half the price of a Cooke.

Hello,
    I just bought the 600mm Nicola Perscheid.
    Come with the original yellow filter. Please see the pictures.
    The yellow filter (or yellow-green) is used in portrait photography with any kind of lens for skin tones. I don't verify yet, but I have the feeling that, using a monochrome light, it is easier to find the focus plain with a lens with chromatic aberrations.
    Yours,
    LA

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Alecu View Post
    The yellow filter (or yellow-green) is used in portrait photography with any kind of lens for skin tones. I don't verify yet, but I have the feeling that, using a monochrome light, it is easier to find the focus plain with a lens with chromatic aberrations.
    The yellow filter was necessary for orthochromatic plates mostly used in the time your lens was made. The focussing technique described here for the Kodak Portrait Lens can also used with the Nicola Perscheid lens.
    Last edited by Peter K; 21-Dec-2009 at 05:22. Reason: link edited

Peter - interesting reading - my first attempts at focusing a soft lens (graf variable) were awful. I have a feeling that orthofilm was not the only type available in 1924?

Leonard - Didn't know they made a 600mm! The biggest one shown in my old catalogue from 1924 shows a 420mm which covers up to 8x10! OK, I see now that this is the later F5.6 version of bigger sizes (19" and 23.5") rather than the F4.5 and is advertised for 10x12".I think your comments about the use of the yellow filter ring true. Nice to know that at least one original yellow filter and one 600mm has survived the years.
    I have the senior member of the Plasticca objectives - a 600mm too. How are you going to put this into use - camera/lens boardwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Peter - interesting reading - my first attempts at focusing a soft lens (graf variable) were awful. I have a feeling that orthofilm was not the only type available in 1924?
    Koenig invented isocyanin in 1884 as a panchromatic sensibilisation dye eleven years after Vogel invented the (orthochromatic) sensibilisation in 1873. But at least up to the fifties orthochromatic plates and films was the common material for portraits and also press-work. In the Kodak professional photographic catalog from 1992 Kodak Tri-X Ortho film was aviable from 4x5" up to 8x10". "Well suited for character-type portrait subjects."

Peter
    Last edited by Peter K; 21-Dec-2009 at 10:22. Reason: spelling

I have 2, a 30cm and a 42cm. The coverage data is conservative and aimed at old school portraitists who tended toward long lenses / perfect perspective I think. Those numbers would be consistent with a plate that would exhibit a flat field with equal diffusion corner to corner. When used on larger plates, and I've used the 30cm on 8X10 landscapes, the corners are significantly softer / weirder than the center.

My 30cm has the original yellow filter. I always surmised that this was to correct chemical and visual focus to a single plane. So with the yellow, it would be a little sharper than without, giving the user some options.

These are in the same family formula wise as the Hermagis Eidoscop, Pinkham Visual Quality, and Gundlach Hyperion. Having used all 4, the Perscheid is my least favorite. That's totally subjective seat of the pants type reckoning and the next user might discover just the opposite.

Physically, these would have been much cheaper to make than a quality triplet. No spacing issues, and 2 simple cemented doublets, so yes, they would have perhaps been marketed as a cheaper alternative to the high priced spread. Now though, they trump just about everything.

Hello, If any of you cares I have the nicola perscheid triplet model, 480 mm F 4.5 it's a beast and it doesn't look cheap, the build is just amazing but I never had a chance to try it yet !
    Maybe I should start a thread about "alternative german triplets" since I also have three trioplan hugo meyer, one 100 and a 250 mm and a 300 mm, coated!
    Das gute stuck!
    Anyway will not say more before shooting them but any information welcomed and if you want to shere your experience..

I also have the 480mm, and yes the looks fit the bill... Nice and heavy! Should try it tomorrow on a friend who's coming for some beers.