Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do i do with expired color negative film?

Cool Re: what do i do with expired color negative film?

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    ... but I generally discard any films expired by more than 2-years.
    Hey Glenn, help a neighbor out! The next time you are in discard mode I would be happy to give your expired film a good home. 4x5 or smaller. Trade or coin of the realm is always a possiblity.

Don't I have your Zone VI tripod by way of Eugene? I tried to buy the camera without the tripod. I'm glad Eugene convinced me to keep the set together. It's a good tripod.

Have y'all dried out yet?

Cheers.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Glenn Mellen

Re: what do i do with expired color negative film?

Wayne... too bad I didn't know you last fall when I gave away about 20 rolls of film and threw away another 30 (35mm, 120 and 220 films). Also too bad I didn't think about offering it to local schools. But as I rarely use anything but large format over that past several years, figured the stock piles needed to be reduced anyways.

The Zone VI tripod was previously owned by Bob M, not I. However, you're the one who broke my heart when Eugene sold you that camera... I had a strong desire for it but unfortunately not the cash to back up my lust.

Still wet here this morning (at least just a drizzle now).

Glenn

No worries Glenn. Maybe we'll do a deal for the Zone VI one of these days.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Jim Ewins

Use it for a 2nd or 3rd exposure. You'll have the info with your 1st processing.

just arrived in bogota. thanks for all the info. some of the film is fuji npl and kodak portra tungsten in 8x10 which is irreplaceable. the assignment is a book project about colombia with little advances so film costs are a huge issue. i will do the back-up exposures with the expired film and the main shot with 160nc. and i will report back.
    greetings from south america,
    christoph

www.morlinghaus.com

My 5x7 Ektachrome EPY was fine five years out of date... it went into a freezer a year before it expired and I saw no difference. This film is finicky, but it's also quite contrasty, so a little fog would probably not hurt it. My freezer runs about +5 F.

I don't think a 37-degree fridge is cold enough for serious film hoarding, tho. Maybe paper...

Skip Roessel

"If a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing badly."

Quote Originally Posted by morlinghaus View Post
    the assignment is a book project about colombia with little advances so film costs are a huge issue.
    Wow, sounds really cool. Please keep us updated!

Has anyone ever done real testing to see what happens with expired color negative film?

I am in the process of ordering around 100 boxes of Portra VC 160 8x10 film as a first step toward a lifetime supply of film. As long as the film is available, I intend to replenish my stock as I use it. The film will be stored sealed in original packaging, wrapped in lead foil, and frozen.

This past spring I have created a benchmark 14 stop characteristic curve and a calibrated ISO speed using Kodak one batch C41 chemistry, fresh film, and my color head and color meter to ensure a repeatable light source. I intend to compare this curve and ISO speed with future curves as time marches on and as chemistry may change. Each year I will use one box from my stock to construct a curve and ISO speed and compare it against the benchmark curve and ISO speed. This will allow me to monitor how well the film ages or the ramifications of having to mix my own C41 from scratch. Right now as we speak Photographers Formulary is finalizing its own C41 kit.

My expectation is as gamma radiation starts to fog the film, then my ISO speed will start to slow down because you have to subtract fbf (film base + fog) from the overall density at Zone I placement to determine minimum densities and the corresponding ISO speed. As the fog builds up I will probably have to increase exposure to ensure a minimum density for the red layer of 0.15 density units.

Color shifts will not occur provided the three layers of RGB run parallel to one another. If the parallel relationship no longer holds, then color shifts will occur. I am not sure what will happen to the slope of the curves which is a measure of contrast as time progresses or I change chemistry.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Stephen, you are an amazing guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    Stephen, you are an amazing guy!
    Thank you Robert.

I do not believe that any body has done this kind of testing before the film is exposed. I do know tests have been done after the film has been exposed and processed in an attempt to measure its archival characteristics. The biggest issue for unexposed film is fogging caused gamma radiation. My hope is that a slower film such as 160 and rapping the film in lead foil will slow the effects of gamma radiation.

I do intend to publish my results on this website and on my own personal website as each year passes along with any corrective measures I take to make sure the film matches the initial characteristic curve and minimum densities at a Zone I placement above fbf.