Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do i do with expired color negative film?

what do i do with expired color negative film?

hi,

i just cleared out my refrigerator and found tons of cn film. the oldest expired 2001, most of it expired 2004-2006. i am scanning the negs so i have a certain control. are there people out there that can tell me how this film will behave? could i do assigned work with it? i will leave for colombia and have to process the film there on a jobo so i can't really test it before.
    thanks in advance,
    christoph morlinghaus

www.morlinghaus.com

Re: what do i do with expired color negative film?

I use expired film all the time. You will really want to test it first for any application where "creative" is not a good descriptor for the output as the results can be unpredictable. Usually the color will shift a bit, same with contrast.

If it's mission-critical work you're doing for someone else then pony up the cash for some fresh film.

Send it to me. Yours is newer than mine.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I use expired film a lot. Color negative film can be unpredicable, though. I keep mine frozen, which makes it last much longer. When shooting on assignment, however, I wouldn't gamble. Get fresh film for your shoot.

3d Visual Effects artist

Yea, it should be pretty usable. You may get a little bit of color casting, but since you are scanning them, that will probably be easily dealt with.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Glenn Mellen

It was asked "could I do assigned work with it?"

I personally would NEVER use expired film for an important project... especially expired by that much, and especially negative films. I've had two occurrences where I've tried expired film (expired by 2-3 years). One was using NPC, and the other Reala (both medium format roll film). Results for both equated more than a little color casting and loss of color intensities... so much (especially with Reala) that corrections in scanning/editing could not correct the images.

I personally would relegate badly expired film for use in non-critical images, and not consider its use for anything of an important nature. Film is a relatively cheap part of shoot when travel is involved... so... why take a chance with very old outdated film?

Glenn,

If you know, were your bad experiences with film that had been kept at room temperature, in a fridge or in a freezer? I've just acquired a commercial freezer, for other reasons, and I'm thinking of stocking up on some 5x7 film in light of questions about availability.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    I personally would relegate badly expired film for use in non-critical images, and not consider its use for anything of an important nature. Film is a relatively cheap part of shoot when travel is involved... so... why take a chance with very old outdated film?
    that sounds like good advice
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Glenn Mellen

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Glenn,

If you know, were your bad experiences with film that had been kept at room temperature, in a fridge or in a freezer? I've just acquired a commercial freezer, for other reasons, and I'm thinking of stocking up on some 5x7 film in light of questions about availability.
    r.e. - Concerning storage of the film I had bad experiences with:

The bad Fuji Reala (imported film) was newly purchased from a camera store at a "discount" price knowing it was expired film. Film storage as shipped or stored by the merchant was unknown. I bought 20-rolls... shot 4 rolls on a vacation... threw away the balance after seeing results.

The bad Fuji NPC was stored by me for quite a few years in a refrigerator.

I usually buy film in fairly large quantities, and keep it stored refrigerated in air-tight plastic containers... have a full-sized refrigerator/freezer dedicated for film storage. I rarely shoot color negative film, and in all honesty have never had any issues with expired transparency film... but I generally discard any films expired by more than 2-years.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't throw it away. There's always someone who likes to play with the stuff, some student or someone who's learning with their LF camera just now.