Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TMY, XTOL, and a Scanner...

Re: TMY, XTOL, and a Scanner...

Jim, what densities are you trying to hit at the top end? It looks like 1.2? I did read everything previous - I may have missed this.

Lenny

EigerStudios.

Dear Lenny,

It is nice to hear from you...

I did not know what densities I would reach while using the development process, but the densities I did reach are located within the attached Excel file Zip file. The chart indicates the densities obtained while exposing TMY and TMY-2 at ISO 400, and ISO 250. I simply wanted to know whether the densities would be linear and provide good separation at the reduced development time and at the reduced developer strength.

This process provides me with excellent detail in the shadows and well-controlled highlights with detail, even when I must reduce the developer strength, yet maintain a development time to allow the negative to develop properly.

That said, I submitted the files again for anyone that would like to review the data...

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Lenny,
    It is nice to hear from you...
    Greetings, likewise....

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    I did not know what densities I would reach while using the development process, but the densities I did reach are located within the attached Excel file Zip file. The chart indicates the densities obtained while exposing TMY and TMY-2 at ISO 400, and ISO 250. I simply wanted to know whether the densities would be linear and provide good separation at the reduced development time and at the reduced developer strength.
    It's nice work. Lots of detail and record keeping....

I think you can go a little further with the top end. (A little denser in the highlights.) My goal is 1.8 or 1.9. The separation in the midtones should increase with this treatment. It does over here... altho' its apparent that whatever you are doing is working for you...

You've given me some ideas. Haven't had much time to test lately, I'm actually trying to get some work printed.... it's a nice change.

Lenny

Dear Lenny,

Merci...

My actual goal was to reduce the upper negative density level to remove and, or reduce any artefacts that may be present within a denser scanned negative, such as I experienced while using my older development times and dilutions, and while using an Epson 750 scanner. I wanted to improve my scans on the Epson 750 scanner, before I was forced to use the drum scanner exclusively, since the cost for a drum scanned negative in Calgary was a wee bit prohibitive for every negative I owned. I still drum scan my premiere negatives for the shadow detail, and I can get by using the Epson when the negative's density range has a shallower curve, compared to a steeper curve, while trying to extract greater separation within the mid-tones. The shallower density curve is a challenge, for the mid-tones, but I can extract information properly, and present that information properly with a few darkroom mid-tone expansion "tricks..."

I also noticed that my drum scans improved exponentially too, especially within the highlight detail, where I often wonder whether the thinner negative presents an optimum density range and an optimum density curve, and where these curves are very specific to any scanner, whether it happens to be a drum scanner, or a flatbed scanner. I have also concluded that each scanner has its own characteristics, and knowing that fact requires you test the development times appropriately for your own equipment. Some adjustments are required, but I would imagine that they might be minor adjustments. I believe that you will be able to steepen your development curve to the values you so desire, because you have an instrument that can extract the detail within the denser highlights better than my Epson 750.

I also believe that the thinner negative, designed to be scanned on the 750, allows the Epson scanner software or any third party software to operate within a proper density saturation range, compared to a negative with a strong density range and a steeper curve that might over saturate the buffers and produce the blocked shadow detail, which happens to be so common among many flat bed scanners, and the dreaded artefacts within the highlights.

Flat bed scanners certainly have their purpose, and serve their purpose well for many users, but I surely can tell when my negatives are scanned with a drum scanner, by a skilled operator. All I need to do is look at the shadow detail, and I am convinced.

I believe that you will be successful with a steeper curve, because of your equipment, and your operator skills...

jim k

Cool Re: TMY, XTOL, and a Scanner...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    There is a little red flag on the label of the box saying it is the sharpest, and the film has a different notch code.
    The edge printing on the film says "New Tmax 400 TMY-2". I just developed some last Monday.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Great thread....thanks too all
    Cheers Richard