Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TMY, XTOL, and a Scanner...

Re: TMY, XTOL, and a Scanner...

Dear Sandy,

My TMY-2 supply was ordered several weeks ago, and I received a notice from my local supplier that the TMY-2 should be arriving shortly. This is the second time they indicated shortly...

I shall apply my original development times, and my original dilutions against TMY-2, when I initiate the comparative test.

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Mike,

They are PDF's, so your browser won't save the file as a PDF, or you cannot open the PDF?

Just curious...

jim k
    Hi Jim,

Sorry for the belated reply. I'm back after a 30 day ban.

I can open the PDF's. My confusion was regarding the lack of data in the first chart but I'm sure now that is was intentionally blank.

Mike

Dear Mike,

I am glad that you could open the files, and yes one document was left blank intentionally, and one document was filled in to present the displayed data. I created both documents to be able to print as an 11X17 document, therefore allowing anyone to print them at their leisure, where they could obviously make them smaller too by controlling the output on their own printer. The blank document should allow you to use your own data points if you desire to do so.

As a lighter side note, I spent many days standing in the classroom's corner too, for one reason or another. Matter of fact, I was usually there for more than one reason...

jim k

Yes, I was thoroughly spanked. And while I didn't enjoy it, I do accept it.

Just an update...

I processed the TMY and the TMY-2 negatives together in XTOL...

I managed to capture a couple of hours on a dedicated calibrated X-Rite densitometer at a local graphic art processing facility at the beginning of this week, giving me time to analyze the density scale effectively.

That said, I am reviewing the data along with input from others, where I produced a printable PDF graph for the technically inclined souls that populate this group. I will post the file once I am finished, which should be this weekend.

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Just an update...

That said, I am reviewing the data along with input from others, where I produced a printable PDF graph for the technically inclined souls that populate this group. I will post the file once I am finished, which should be this weekend.

jim k
    Looking foward to that. I just got my first batch of TMY-2. Thanks for all this work.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Steel View Post
    Looking foward to that. I just got my first batch of TMY-2. Thanks for all this work.
    Me too. Just waiting for some free time to get going.

Did I already mention how great this thread was and how generous of Jim to share his hard work?

As promised, I attached my updated document regarding TMY and TMY-2 development times…

The updated information is not appended to bottom of the original posted document because the file size limitations for a PDF within the forum prevented this from occurring. I included the revision date on the new supplemental document, and a new PDF graph illustrates the different response curves, or characteristic curves for TMY and TMY-2 under a normal development process, as stated within the document, and I supplied a simple data sheet with the associated data. The characteristic curve graph may be tough to view, because of the background lines within the graph, but the graph is an 11X17 inch printable PDF file, and therefore you can zoom into any area you wish to view with comfort, or print the document at your leisure. I apologize if this is a minor annoyance.

As stated in the original document, this exercise was developed to help me find a suitable negative density range to assist my hybrid scanning process, and the resultant data suits my current hybrid process effectively. I do however, suggest that you could use these development times, and dilution ratios as a starting point for your own hybrid process, since your inherent development characteristics could influence your procedural results, which include the developer dilutions, and the associated development times.

I am also certain that a discussion may arise regarding the requirement for the different expansions, and the different compactions, since this happens to be a hybrid process, where the process quality could be directly related to the scanner's quality that any individual may own, or have access too. The incremental development times and dilutions may become moot as the user incorporates this hybrid process into their development routine, while knowing that their scanner may accommodate any outlier anomalies resulting from a minor processing error. I incorporate the different development times and dilutions because I still think I am in the darkroom, and any assistance that I can provide myself through controlled film development for a quality scan, simply adds value to my hybrid processing routine. Others may summarily dismiss this incremental effort as an ineffective effort because they believe that their scanner's ability can set the quality boundaries for their own process. I cannot argue that point, nor can I add any valid argumentative points to that discussion, because I realize that a scanner's qualitative output is a very valid and an integral component in the complete hybrid process.

I discovered that the hybrid process introduced me to a new imaging technique, which allowed me to transfer any darkroom skills that I may have to the desktop, but this hybrid process is still a process that requires a wee bit of inherent darkroom knowledge, which allows me to process the hybrid information effectively. I do not wish to have my own process interrupted by a software developer, but that issue may be an inevitable conclusion; eventually. New skills, new techniques, and new algorithms may allow an individual to be more creative, and completely experimental with their images, but I am still old school, and I happen to enjoy the darkroom even if I must call it a lightroom, going forward.

That said, I would like take a moment to thank Steve Gledhill, Sandy King, Bruce Watson, and Michael Kadillak for their excellent contributions, and I should note that Sandy will possibly add additional comments upon his return from his side jaunt to Mexico, during the next few days.

Have fun...

jim k

Jim -
    Thanks for your generosity with research on TMY + Xtol. I confess I'm new to this forum and was unable to find the PDF to download and review. I plan to buy TMY-2 8x10 and cut down to 5x7, as I've used up the last of my TMY-1. Any info re my favorite regimen (TMY + Xtol + Jobo) is greatly appreciated for continuing education.
    Regards,
    Doug

Dear Heliogazer,

The PDF that outlines the XTOL and TMY-2 development process, should be available on the first page...

If not, then email me directly, and I will send you a copy.

jim k