Thread: which polarizer for fuji 90 f8 lens?

which polarizer for fuji 90 f8 lens?

hi,

before i can afford to splurge on a lee filter 4x4 kit, i was wondering which 67mm polarizer i can use in the meantime? do i need a slim/wide angle version of the polarizer or is a regular one fine (as it won't produce any vignetting) for this lens? can i get away with a linear polarizer as well?
    i'm looking to get a tiffen polarizer.

thanks for the help!

Octogenarian

Re: which polarizer for fuji 90 f8 lens?

I use a regular 67mm linear polarizer with my Fuji f8 90SW.

It's a B&W, but a Tiffen should work just as well. No need to use a circular polarizer.

If you're worried about vignetting, you can use a 77mm polarizer along with a 67-77mm step-up ring.

You don't need a circular for a view camera. But you will need a polarizer larger then the lens thread to avoid vignetting, especially with back movements. You can either get a wide angle polarizer or a thin step-up ring with a slim polarizer. Do be aware, when using a polarizer with wide angle lenses, that parts of the sky are naturally polarized and other parts are not. If you capture both areas while using a polarizer you will get bands of dark and light sky.

great! thanks guys!

Glenn Mellen

Although you don't really need a circular polarizer for a large format camera, I would still suggest buying a circular instead of a linear (even tho' the circ pol costs quite a bit more). Reason for suggestion: a circular polarizer can be used on any and all cameras... a linear polarizer cannot be used on auto-focus cameras. Why spend a bunch of money on a filter now that cannot be used on something else you may buy in the future?

A further suggestion: You mention wanting a Tiffen polarizer. If you're wanting a high-grade polarizer, I would suggest looking at a different brand. There are considerable differences between brands (ie: contrast, color changes, depth of effects). For quality, look at B+W, Heliopan, Lee, Singh-Ray, ... perhaps a few others I can't right now recall. Yes... they'll cost quite a bit more than a Tiffen or Hoya, but are well-worth the added expense.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

There is an interesting older ('95) article on different polarizers by Joe Englander; it should be for general reference still valid: Here is a link: http://englander-workshops.com/sitemap.php; scroll down on the left.... He also advocates a 2x exposure increase (as opposed to x1.5) for most polarizers.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."