Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to 110mm xl?

Alternatives to 110mm xl?

Hi,

For shooting 5x4 I like the 110mm focal length...but the cost is a bit much right now.
    (I had it in the past and really liked it but alas...it is no longer with me)
    I also like its small size, weight and fast aperture, and large image circle.

How do the alternatives fair such as the grandagon 115mm, fuji 105mm, schneider 120mm, etc.

Its not for architectural work with massive movements but enough rise/fall and shift is needed for composition when you can't move any more!

I know any of them will involve a compromise in terms of either weight, image circle, viewing brightness, etc over the 110 but...

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Alternatives to 110mm xl?

I don't think the Nikon 120 SW is in any way an optical compromise. A touch more weight, and I believe a larger image circle.

bob

Another vote for the Nikon SW 120. It is heavier and darker than the 110 but a fine lens. Mine is used mostly on the 5x7.

Have a look at KEH, they have the Grandagon 115 and several 120s for prices $350 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Another vote for the Nikon SW 120...
    And you can purchase one brand spanking new for a good price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...20mm_f_8.html#

Drew Wiley

I picked up a 125 Fuji W as a lightweight alternative to my true wide-angle architectual lenses. More even field of illumination so need need for a center filter,
    bright viewing, and tack sharp. Modest movements on 4x5 so suitable for garden-variety architecture, but not for the extreme stuff (where I've used a 120SA or Nikkor 90SW). It's a tradeoff between portability and a big image circle, but one possiblity if
    you don't want to spend the big bucks of a 110XL or risk picking up on of the early
    lemon ones. For interiors I personally don't like the f/8 wide angles (hard to focus,
    especially with a CF in place).

I am considering the same question except for 5x7. The Fuji 105mm SW, 115 Grandagon, 120-121mm Super Angulons and even the highly esteemed 120 Nikon, seem like bargains compared to the 110 SSXL. More compact alternatives include wide angle designs from Goerz, Meyer & Wollensak & Voigtlander - most of which just don't seem like bargains at their typical asking prices. The most readily available true bargain in the neighborhood is the 120/6.8 Schneider Angulon. I am satisfied with mine (so far) and it will also save you weight over the 110 SSXL.

I can also recommend the Schneider Apo-symmar-L 120 mm, which is small, very sharp and a fairly recent design (2002).

The 120mm Nikkor-SW leads the pack IMHO in every way but the aperture, where it is only half to one stop less bright than the others. I find an f8 is a very usable lens in most circumstances - think how many people swear by the 90mm f8 Nikkor, and all the others who use f9 G-Clarons, Artars etc. Careful focussing of wide-angles really requires a good loupe, 6x or better still 8x. When there is enough magnification, the detail pops in and out of focus pretty clearly.

Coverage? The 120 Nikkor will work fine on 8x10 (I.C. of ~315mm, from memory), so on 4x5 you've got loads of elbow room. It's an excellent wide on 5x7 too, if you ever need that option.

Hunt around and you can find a 120 Nikkor-SW for less than half the price of a used 110, I'm guessing.

Hi marc,
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Schneider 120/5.6 SS HM-
    hi quality optics and one of my most used lenses. I also use the
    Fuji 120/8 SW on 5x7 and is excellent as well.

Warren Clark
    Ft. Collins,Colo.

Hello again,
    Correction on my post -- The Fuji is 105/8

Warren Clark