Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll film backs for Tachihara, Wista, and other wooden fields

Roll film backs for Tachihara, Wista, and other wooden fields

Hi all, I'm currently considering a few 4x5 field cameras including the Tachihar a (aka Osaka & Calumet XM 4x5) and the Wista 45DX. To initially keep costs down I'd like to start with a roll film back (6x9 & maybe 6x12). My understanding i s that neither of these cameras accept Graflok backs. Is this true? Are there other backs that I could use instead? Any specific recommendations? If you'd l ike to recommend another <$750 4x5 field camera (new or used) I'm all eyes.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to have a look at the Shen Hao HZX-45AII. It is available from B adger Graphic for $625 and is capable of using Graflok style roll film backs. I t also has an interchangeable bellows and more complete movements than the Tachi hara or Wista. It is surprisingly well made for the price and a lot of camera f or the money.

Shen Hao also offers a 6x12 roll film back of primitive design (uses a "red wind ow" type film advance ala the old roll film folding cameras). I have one of the se on the way, but have not yet received it. The red window obviously precludes using 220 film, but if it holds the film flat and positions it properly, that's what counts. It's by far the most affordable 6x12 roll fim back available ($35 0 from Badger). Of course, the Shen Hao camera will also accept the standard Gr aflok style roll film backs from Horseman, Wista, Mamiya, Graflex, etc.

Kerry

A Graflock adapter is available from Wista although it is not needed foe Wista roll backs with the shield plate. Some Wisea wood models arw supplied with the Graflock back asstandard.

Senior for sure

I expect the Tachihara will accept a rollfilm holder like the Calumet C2N, at least it better, as I have one on its way that I plan to use in it. My Tachi accepts my 545pro Polaroid back without difficulty, and I can even get the somewhat thicker 405 holder in it satisfactorily.

Before you purchase a used Calumet roll film back, you may want to review <A HRE F="http://www.kinesisgear.com/opinion.html"> my comments</A>about the Calumet C2 backs.

I used the Calumet 6x7 roll film holder (it's a holder, not a back) in my Tachihara and it worked fine. My only complaint was the complexity involved in loading it. That probably would not have been a problem if I had used if more often. Personally I liked the Calumet holder in the Tachihara spring back better than the Graflok style backs and holders. With the Calumet you don't have to remove the camera back and replace it every time you want to use the holder. The Calumet slips in just like a regular film holder. I know some people have experienced problems with the Calumet roll film holder but mine was fine. I don't think the Calumet comes in 6x12 format though I'm not certain.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I agree with Kerry that you might want to check out the Shen Hao. I've had one for several months and really like it. I've used a Tachihara also and thought it was a fine field camera too. The Shen Hao is heavier, but does have a Graflock back and more complete movements.

DW

Tachihara has made a wooden back that replaces the standard spring back and is specially made to use roll film. It requires an additional roll film holder that clips into a 2x3 graflok adapter. It has a 2"x3" ground glass window for viewing that slides away to the roll film adapter for picture taking (slightly hard to describe well, but nice). Mine worked fine, but sold it as I don't use much roll film. These are rather hard to find - I bought mine from Midwest Camera used for about $80 and have seen them on eBay very occationally. I have also seen standard Graflok backs to replace the Tachihara spring back. These too seem rather rare.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Based on what I've read of the Shen Hao here and elsewhere I think I'll go that route.

Landscape/Still Life

I have a Tachihara and a Wista Roll film back 6x9 i have heard that it would fit on my Tachi without any problems the only thing is that it did not come with the slide adapter which will make it slide onto the back of my tachi 4x5..... i know this is a dilema for me and i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can purchase the adapter plate that will attach to my roll film back so that i can use it on my 4x5..... it is the Wista Type D 6x9 Roll Film Back that i own.... Thanks in advance and I wish i would of seen this post before i bought it.... Thanks