Thread: process used for this photo

process used for this photo

I was searching through old photos in a library and found this. It was taken somewhere between 1860-1864 by Christian Paier. I just wonder what kind of process he might use for this print? By the time this print was made and it's colour, my guess would be albumin.

Cheers,
    Marko
    Last edited by Marko Trebusak; 17-Oct-2009 at 14:55. Reason: additional data

Re: process used for this photo

I can't tell from the posted image but is it a print mounted on a board or a print on a sheet of paper and not mounted with text printed on the sheet the image is on. If it's mounted it's probably albumen and if it's a single sheet and not mounted with the text on it it's probably a gravure.

It is a pic of the dome of the rock (Arab mosque) in Jerusalem. By the period, it can be either albumen, or as said before - gravure. Another option - ambrotypes, which were positive collodion prints.
    What size is the print?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I can't tell from the posted image but is it a print mounted on a board or a print on a sheet of paper and not mounted with text printed on the sheet the image is on. If it's mounted it's probably albumen and if it's a single sheet and not mounted with the text on it it's probably a gravure.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeber View Post
    It is a pic of the dome of the rock (Arab mosque) in Jerusalem. By the period, it can be either albumen, or as said before - gravure. Another option - ambrotypes, which were positive collodion prints.
    What size is the print?

Thank you for replies. He was probably the first, or at least among the first photographers in Jerusalem. He had professional studio there from 1860 till 1864, but little more is known from his life. Photo is printed on thin sheet of paper and mounted on board and text is written on board. This information rules out ambrotype, as it was on glass. So it looks like data is coming together. Undestructive analysis made on this print shows that there is a lot of peptides present, and since gelatine was used much later, it looks like it is an albumin print after all.

Thank you again for help.

Cheers,
    Marko
    Last edited by Marko Trebusak; 19-Oct-2009 at 22:52. Reason: sorry Mike, I almost forgot your post