Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter issue

Pentax Digital Spotmeter issue

First off, I've used many different spot meters and never have I seen this issue before I purchased the pentax. I bought one last year off a member here and immediately returned it after the readings I was getting weren't matching my other meters which had been recently calibrated. The attached pic shows the viewfinder and where the reading is actually taken from. I exaggerated a bit but you get the idea. The replacement meter I also bought off a friend who barely used it also does the same thing. Anyone see this before? Anyone got their pentax digi spotmeter handy that'll run a test for me? Can this be fixed?

vinny

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter issue

Yes seen it and Yes it can be repaired. Cause, it depends on which one of the few parts is off or a combination of parts are off.

Has the meter been dropped?
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Richard, I was going to send you an email on this as well but you've seen it here first. Dropped? Not that I'm aware of. The guy I bought it from would have mentioned that, I'm sure.

Best solution is to acquire a Pocket Spot Meter. Why?

It is hard wired and never requires a calibration and is as sturdy as a brick. It is made out of a solid piece of aluminum and is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket.

I have three Pentax meters and I was required to calibrate them at $70 a meter every year to 16 months. Ouch!

After acquiring a Pocket Spot the Pentax Meters are idle and I will sell them all soon.

Better late than never......

Michael, that sounds great but where the hell can I get one? They don't make them anymore, do they?

Yes they do. Eric has a blog that you need to gain access to and get on the list and be patient. He has a day job and manufacturers these marvelous instruments part time.

Do a search in the LF forum and you will find what you need.

Cheers!

"I have three Pentax meters and I was required to calibrate them at $70 a meter every year to 16 months."

Ouch, indeed! I have one that after 20 years was a half stop off at the low end. when I asked Richard to check it. I have heard of others whose meters require recalibration often. I wonder why experiences are so different?

I have a bigger problem with batteries failing just when I need to use the meter, and knowing that I put the replacement battery in a very safe place...somewhere...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    "I have three Pentax meters and I was required to calibrate them at $70 a meter every year to 16 months."

Ouch, indeed! I have one that after 20 years was a half stop off at the low end. when I asked Richard to check it. I have heard of others whose meters require recalibration often. I wonder why experiences are so different?

I have a bigger problem with batteries failing just when I need to use the meter, and knowing that I put the replacement battery in a very safe place...somewhere...
    It depends upon how these meters are used. Micro vibrations and/or motion in general that can be experienced on airplanes and in some vehicles can have an adverse effect on their circuitry. Theoretically if one stayed away from such events there is no reason that accuracy drift on either end of the scale could be minimized. Spectra recommends an annual calibration for professionals on their meters that are the choice of cinematographers as well as photographers across the globe.

I got tired of seeing my Pentax field meters slowly deviate from the one I kept at home as a reference. When I learned that the Pocket Spot is hard wired when it is manufactured in spec and never needs a calibration that was all I needed to acquire one. The size was icing on the cake. I guess if I was shooting small or medium format and had access to variable contact filters it would not be that big of an issue. Unfortunately shooting 8x10 and ULF and contact printing with Lodima grade 2 and 3 the band width is a bit shorter.

Eric Biggerstaff

Is this the blog:

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

I have always wanted one of these little beauties!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Drew Wiley

I need to calibrate my Pentax digital meters only once a decade or so. I keep a brand
    new meter in the lab which is never used except to check the other meters. I do a lot
    of backpacking and even some 4WD rough driving and don't have problems. These
    meters have gone through hell and seem to remain reliable. But that little Metered Light
    device sure looks interesting. Wonder if they're still around?