Thread: Suggestions for 8x10 Wide and Tele.

Suggestions for 8x10 Wide and Tele.

Good Evening All,

Time to expand my lens kit... currently I have a Rodenstock Sinaron SE 240/5.6 as my "normal" lens... I know this is considered the wide side of normal, but it's close to what my mind generally thinks of as "normal".

I would like to add a wide angle and a telephoto to my kit. Nothing too extreme in either direction, perhaps just a step or two in each direction. I was thinking in the range of 120-150 and 360-400, but am open to going outside of those boundaries if it seems appropriate (ie. I wouldn't mind going down to a 90, but finding a 90 that will cover 8x10 with movements isn't easy). Sharp and Fast are a must (although not necessarily at the same time... The fast requirement is mainly so I can focus in low light.

I shoot mostly landscape, a little architecture (although it's generally architecture turning into landscape - ie. old farm houses and barns), and occasionally portraiture.

Ideally, I prefer to have lenses that I can use on my Zone VI 4x5 as well which means some of the monster glass is out, but pretty much anything that will fit in a Copal 3 or smaller should be fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John IV

Re: Suggestions for 8x10 Wide and Tele.

A 90mm for 8x10 ? Seems way too wide for me. Thats like putting a 45mm lens on 4x5. I'd pick a 150mm for the wide end, probably a Super Symmar XL.

Yeah, 90mm is pretty darned wide for 8x10. But some people like ultra-wide lenses in the some situations. Some people shoot 14mm lenses on their 135 cameras and that's nearly as wide as a 90mm on 8x10. That said, I don't think there are any 90mm that will cover 8x10 to the corners. However, I've read that the 110 SS XL can just barely cover. If you want any movements you'll need to move up to a 150mm Nikkor-W or SS XL, etc.

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
    Good Evening All,

Time to expand my lens kit... currently I have a Rodenstock Sinaron SE 240/5.6 as my "normal" lens... I know this is considered the wide side of normal, but it's close to what my mind generally thinks of as "normal".

I would like to add a wide angle and a telephoto to my kit. Nothing too extreme in either direction, perhaps just a step or two in each direction. I was thinking in the range of 120-150 and 360-400, but am open to going outside of those boundaries if it seems appropriate (ie. I wouldn't mind going down to a 90, but finding a 90 that will cover 8x10 with movements isn't easy). Sharp and Fast are a must (although not necessarily at the same time... The fast requirement is mainly so I can focus in low light.

I shoot mostly landscape, a little architecture (although it's generally architecture turning into landscape - ie. old farm houses and barns), and occasionally portraiture.

Ideally, I prefer to have lenses that I can use on my Zone VI 4x5 as well which means some of the monster glass is out, but pretty much anything that will fit in a Copal 3 or smaller should be fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John IV
    Well, you can find an older Hypergon 72mm to 90mm or 135mm with fan that will cover 8x10 (or the Wisner Hypergon), but of the modern lenses with copal shutters, you'll be looking at the Schneider SS XL 150mm or, if you can find it, a Rodenstock Grandagon 155mm, for the widest modern lens with copal,as no modern copal mounted 90mm covers 8x10 at infinity. Both work well on 8x10 (I have both, and prefer the Grandagon as it does not require the center filter as much as the 150 SSXL). I think both of these lenses might challenge your Zone VI 4x5 but you'd have to check them.

Moving up from 150/155, your next step is the 200-210 range. That's pretty close to your existing 240mm lens, and won't give you the wider look you are looking for compared to the 240.

You haven't mentioned the bellows extension your camera is capable of. Presuming your bellows can handle it, I'd suggest looking at the Fujinon 450mm, Fujinon 600mm. Both are extremely light in weight and have exceptional coverage (ULF -- 7x17 and 12x20). Both might be bellows limited on your Zone VI - you'd have to give them a try.

Other modern, light weight lenses that can be found, but aren't in production, would include the Nikon M 300mm, and Nikon 450mm. I'd avoid the 360mm as they tend to be a little heavy, although the Schneider 355mm G-Claron (and 305mm G-Claron) are both good lightweight lenses.

Lots of other choices are out there, but your desire to keep them to weights/size that could also be used on your Zone VI limits your choices.

You're not going to find any modern lens short of 150 that will cover 8x10 with substantial movement. And of those, the only one that's even semi-reasonable as a lens for a 4x5 wooden field camera is the Schneider 150mm Super-Symmar XL. But that's very pricey. Anyway, good 150's intended for 4x5 are so inexpensive these days, and so much smaller and lighter than the SS-XL, that if you want that focal length for the smaller format you should just buy one of those, and then make a separate purchase driven by the different cost/size/weight tradeoffs appropriate to your 8x10 needs.

I have a 155mm Grandagon for 8x10 and a 150mm Apo-Sironar-S for 4x5.

There are plenty of good 360's to choose from, though again, those that are most cost-effective and functional for 8x10 won't likely be a comfortable fit on a wooden 4x5.

Lenses shorter than 150mm lack movements for 8x10, so your main choices are the Nikon SW 150 (big), Grandagon 155 (also big), and SS150XL (moderately sized, can be used on a Wista 4x5 in a pinch). But the SS150XL is expensive, and you probably will save money by getting separate 150mm lenses for 8x10 and 4x5, as Oren suggests. 150mm APO Symmar's and Nikon W's for 4x5 are dirt cheap these days.

There are no lightweight options for fast 8x10 lenses in the 360-400mm focal length range (the 350mm G-Claron is moderately sized and can work on both 8x10 and 4x5, but it is an f/9 lens). If you can live with 450mm, then the Nikon 450M is a fine, relatively small lens, and is nearly as fast as the 450-480 large 8x10 lenses. Otherwise you're back to considering separate lenses for 8x10 and 4x5, as a large fast 360mm 8x10 lens (even a Copal 3 mounted variety) will overwhelm your Wista. Something like a multi-coated 360 Symmar-S f/5.6 provides a lot of 8x10 performance for a reasonable price.

An argument in favor of the Nikon 450M is that, even if you get a good deal on a big 360 for your 8x10, there really is no small 360mm lens for your 4x5 that is reasonably priced (there are many options at 300mm but that's awfully close to your 240). The Schneider 350 APO Tele Xenar f/11 (not really a telephoto despite the name) is reportedly superb, but this is a new product and is not available on the used market. The Fuji 360A f/10 (which also covers 8x10 with room to spare) typically costs between $1,000 and $1,500 used.

Personally, I long ago gave up the ghost on sharing lenses between my 4x5 and 8x10 systems. There are just too many compromises involved.

Hi jdaiv,

Another factor to consider with focal lengths of 150 or less on 8x10
    is the extreme bellows compression on many cameras--can be a
    limiting factor for movements if a bag bellows is not an option.

Warren Clark

Octogenarian

The widest lens i can use on my 8X10 Canham with the normal bellows is the Nikkor 120 SW. It barely covers 8X10, and bellows compression limits movements.

However, the Nikkor 120 SW is my most frequently used lens for 4X5 or 5X7.

My preferred wide angle lens for 8X10 is the Nikkor 150 SW. It is a huge piece of glass (95mm dia.) and requires a camera that has a large front opening. Probably won't fit your 4X5.

I usually use the Nikkor 450 M as my long lens. Had a Fuji 600 C for a while. Found that I seldom needed to use it.

The new Apo-tele-xenar 11/350 compact seems to cost less than the old, scarce Fuji 360A, certainly in Europe. Badger quotes $900 or something close for the Schneider. Robert White in England has them at £586. People still seem to be looking for well over $1000 for the old Fuji. This new xenar, in copal 1, while rated for 8x10, will probably also fit your 4x5, maybe with the extension tube (see Badger's or RW's website).