Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beutler-Pyro: a different formula

Re: Beutler-Pyro: a different formula

the download (generated by foxit) is illegible; hence the formula should be reposted...

well, the iterweb found this:
    Part AМетол 50гМетабисульфит натрия 8гПирогаллол 50гАскорбиновая кислота 10гЙодистый калий 1.5гВода 1лPart BТрилонБ 10гКарбонат натрия б/в 75гВода 1лATC50% р-р ammonium thiocyanate Рабочий раствор 10мл А 10мл В 960мл воды 2мл ATCВремя проявления25-50ASA 8.5min100-200ASA 10min400ASA 12min

obviously some CRs needed.
    Last edited by marfa boomboom tx; 17-Nov-2012 at 03:25. Reason: seek and ye shell fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beutler_Pyro_Engl.pdf 
Views:	91 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	83717Here's the formula generated by Adobe Acrobat from Harald's file. It should be readable by Acrobat from version 4 up.
    "...some of the very best photography is useful only as juggling, theology or pure mathematics is useful -- that is to say, useless, except as nourishment for the human spirit." -- John Szarkowski

nope... the files come down as tiny tiny tiny tiny font .... useless...

mac 10. who the hell cares...

but of no consequence to me... I've got the formula... first stub is hanging...

marfa -- dust don't stand still around here.

In case of future problems:

Part A:
    Metol 50g
    Sodium bisulfite 8g
    Pyrogallol 50g
    Ascorbic acid 10g
    Potassium iodide 1,5g
    dissolved in 850ml water – filled up to 1 liter

Part B:
    Sodium carbonate (anhydrous) 200g
    EDTA 10g
    dissolved in 850ml water – filled up to 1 liter

Stabilizer:
    Ammonium thiocyanate (ATC) 50% sol in water

Working Solutions:

No 1: 10 ml a + 10 ml B + 960ml water +2 ml Stabilizer
    No 2: 10ml A + 20ml B + 2ml Stabilizer

Process temp 22 degrees C agitation every minute

Times:

ISO No. 1 No. 2
    25-50 8.5 min. 6.5 min.
    100-200 10 min. 8 min.
    400 12 min. 10 min.
    Efke IR820 10 min. 8min.
    "...some of the very best photography is useful only as juggling, theology or pure mathematics is useful -- that is to say, useless, except as nourishment for the human spirit." -- John Szarkowski

What does this formula do what PMK or Pyrocat doesn't do?

Harald could probably answer that better than I. But as I've said earlier in the thread, it has unbelievable keeping qualities (better even than the remarkable 510-Pyro and without the less-than-fun syrup mixing). It has better activity with the Foma emulsions that I can still get for my 2X3, less aerial oxidation so it does well with stand and rotary development. It has a good image-specific stain vs general stain ratio like other modern pyro devs. It appears to me to have very good acutance without excessive grain. Attached is an image from the Foma 100 (sold in 2X3 by Freestyle as Arista EDU Ultra). This is a scan from the negative. In the print the grain is of course less pronounced. (The scratch along the bottom is from the end space in the Nikor rack. Learning moment.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beutler-Pyro_Foma_100.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	84110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP_100%.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	84112

Are there any active users in this forum of this developer that seems to have not gained many adopters? Any insights you can share from your experience of using this developer? How does it compare with 510-Pyro?

Quote Originally Posted by Raghu Kuvempunagar View Post
    Are there any active users in this forum of this developer that seems to have not gained many adopters? Any insights you can share from your experience of using this developer? How does it compare with 510-Pyro?
    Still using it! See my above post for answers to a couple of your questions. However: The fabulous thing about a formula is that market for the developer doesn't matter, and how many users doesn't matter. You can mix as needed in batches as small as needed or as large as wished whether anyone besides Harald me and you are using it or not. My suggestion would be to mix a small batch (just divide ingredients list by four and get a 250ml/solution batch) and try it out for yourself! It will satisfy or it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by cariocakev View Post
    Still using it! See my above post for answers to a couple of your questions. However: The fabulous thing about a formula is that market for the developer doesn't matter, and how many users doesn't matter. You can mix as needed in batches as small as needed or as large as wished whether anyone besides Harald me and you are using it or not. My suggestion would be to mix a small batch (just divide ingredients list by four and get a 250ml/solution batch) and try it out for yourself! It will satisfy or it won't.

Hello @cariocakev, thanks for your response. Good to know that you're still using this developer and continue to be happy with the results. I read your endorsement of the developer as the absence of any problematic issues with either the process or the results. It was speculated that the use of thiocyanate in the developer could lead to dichroic fog, but I assume you have never seen that with any of the films you have used. If you have some results to share (other than the ones posted several years ago in this very thread), I'll be much obliged. Thanks again.

In the meanwhile I reached out Herald Leban, the inventor of this developer, and asked him several technical questions. Herald kindly provided very useful inputs that could be of interest to others here. I'll post Herald's inputs next week after taking his approval.