Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

Re: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

I have been in area 4 times and my mamiya TLR raised eyebrows and caused smiles! The people are a quite harmonic mixture of berbers and arabs who are basically used to foreigners (Spain and French colonies) and tourists. You would have probably have had more problems with attempting to take photos of the French (pied noires some of them!) and German mobile homes encamped in monumental kilometer north of Agadir parallel with the coast for the winter season! I hope you had plenty of Fish - the sole is fantastic.

Hopelessly Lost

Ill be on the Ore train between Nouidhibou and Zourate in Mauritania so, plenty of blowing dust there. Look for the guy with the giant black backpack sitting on top of an ore car.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

When do we get to see some of mortensen's and Stephane's photographs?

I was in Morocco myself two weeks ago, but spent more travelling than photographing, although I did take 6x7 photographs in Rabat/Sale and Essaouira.

The ability to speak French comes in really handy. The national train system and the buses run by the train system are good, and first class compartments are worth the additional cost.

It is a very inexpensive place to spend time. A return ticket for Marrakech-Rabat, a good distance at 4hrs 30min each way, costs about $50, standard class about $30. Coffee and a millefeuille on the terrace at a nice place in Rabat was $3. A kilo (2.2 lbs) of oranges, ripened on the vine with superb flavour, cost $1.20.

I liked Rabat and the Atlas Mountains and would now like to see Fes and Agadir, and maybe the extreme south. Was less keen on Marrakech and Essaouira.

The Moorish/Andalusian architecture, exterior and interior, is gorgeous. The old and beautiful medersas (residences for students) wet one's appetite to see the inside of the adjoining mosques, but unfortunately this is possible only if one is muslim.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

No information on precautions from my side, but a link to wet your appetite:
    http://petergasser.info/index.php?op...284&Itemid=260
    Peter Gasser is a Swiss LF photographer; his book on the Berbers of Morocco came out 21 years ago, but the images (made with an 8x10) are timeless.

Love those images, Arne - thanks!

... after that I don't really feel like posting mine, but here we go:
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3617863/1/MAROK?h=0474c3

please have in mind, I switched from digital to LF a month before going to morocco and had taken... 5 shots, I think, before leaving. Click full-size to see 1600x1200. As you might even notice in these small reductions, many images suffer from not stopping enough down (mostly f8-11... but f22 really do give diffraction, so), poor tilts and - tadaa - the charmonix fresnel focusing error, which really becomes obvious at those apertures.

BW developed by myself in a HP tank, all of it scanned on an imacom FT848

mortensen,

I really like these. You won't be selling them to any travel magazines, but they are a frank reflection of the country. You've really caught the flat geography and the sort of in-between, semi-developed state of the country when you get outside the downtown cores. I especially like numbers 13 and 23. The latter - the most basic of soccer pitches and nearby dense housing - is an image that is emblematic of the place, and certainly of Marrakech, where I gather you made most of these. You should be very happy with them.

Peter Gasser's photographs suggest that not a lot has changed in the mountains, at least visually, except that the young people have adopted western style dress. I could be wrong but I suspect, looking at the dress, the vegetation and the state of the stream in one of his photographs, that he made them in winter. Yann Arthus-Bertrand has done aerial photographs in the Atlas Mountains that show areas of pronounced greenery, something that I did not see when I was in the mountains two weeks ago: http://www.yannarthusbertrand2.org/i...529&p=1&l=1680

Thanks! that saved the day

If it isn't already apparent from the images, I guess it should be mentioned, that I'm educated as an architect and not a photographer and that I'm very fond of the Düsseldorfer school of photography.

... will check the aerials soon...

Arthus-Bertrand has a number of aerial images of Morocco in La Terre vue du ciel (Earth from Above in the English version) which is available both as a book and DVD. He has also done an entire book on Algeria, and recently released a film called Home that has been made freely available on YouTube, where the English version alone has had 5 million views and has elicited 27,000 comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU .

One of the things that struck me about Morocco is that there are architects there who seem to have a talent for intelligent and aesthetically pleasing use of concrete as a building material. In North America, an awful lot of concrete buildings look hideous

r.e.
    Thank you for the link! Gobbed smacked by the visuals and nice story, or rather well told...

mortensen,

I should also have singled out photograph number 2. I know what choices you had, and I really like the choices that you made.

Stephane,

Glad that you like Arthus-Bertrand's work. I found out about him because I need one and maybe two photographs of Salé for an exhibition that I'm putting together. I took some photographs there a couple of weeks ago, but an aerial photograph may be very useful for my purposes. I am embarrassed to say that I had never heard of Arthus-Bertrand before this question of photographs of Salé arose. Oddly, I saw his book La Terre du vue ciel for the first time in Morocco and then, a few days later, in the bookstore of the Museum of Natural History in London, where they are selling a new, signed, limited editon for quite a lot of money.

If you go back to Marrakech, there is a very good bookstore called Chaptr (yes, the spelling is right - Chaptr) three or four blocks north of Place du 16 novembre, on the left hand side as you walk north. It is where I first saw La Terre du vue ciel. The store also sells artists' supplies.

I'm interested in going back to Morocco, and maybe Algeria, in about April/May or next fall. If anyone is interested in getting together to do this, let me know. I want to rent a vehicle, either in Morocco, or Spain/France that would be taken across on the ferry (there are lots of European Union camper vans in Morroco), and trip around.