Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

Re: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

The other thing to consider is after coming home from the desert. I spent 2 weeks in New Mexico many moons ago and had a minolta SRT 101. After returning home every dial, botton, and lever would grind when it was moved. The camera had to be cleaned by a proffesional repair person. If the sand is not cleaned out from the mechanics of your equipment it will act like a grinder and just chew your stuff up from the inside.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I've used cameras in Jordan, Israel and Egypt, including in the deserts, and have not found it necessary to take any special precautions.
    You must be a much more fastidious housekeeper than me ... after a week in the deserts in the American southwest everything I had was covered with sand, including my film. I brought a changing tent and tried to keep it clean, but no luck. I came home with the dustiest negs I've ever seen. At least my shutters weren't too badly brutalized.

I'd recommend readyloads or the equivalent to anyone photographing in the desert (though I've never used them myself)

The wind and weather make all the difference. I've lived in New Mexico and Arizona for 18 years. On a calm day, you won't have a dust problem in a desert. The problems come from wind, which can be strong and almost constant here. Don't know about where you are going.

Bring some canned air if you can, and some makeup brushes. Keep the delicate stuff in ziplocks, and hope the wind stays down.

Thanks a lot, all of you!

I'll only spend one day in the dunes on camel back, the remaining time is in a 4x4 or in Marrakech. I will wrap it all up in multiple bags and only take pictures if the wind is calm... never really considered shooting in windy conditions.

@ Steven: Thanks for your advice. I was in Morocco five years ago and know from very personal experience how angry/money hungry people can get, if photographed. As far as I remember, the berber people believe, that their soul is taken, when photographed... so I guess it's understandable, that they get a little picky We will be traveling with a local berber guide in a rented vehicle, so thankfully no hassle with public transport. I carry my gear in a crumpler backpack that can only be opened from the back, when taken off - bought deliberately because of that anti-theft feature.
    Thought I was the only Dane in here, but good to know I am not alone

Jim Ewins

Getting home without your film being fogged by Homeland insecurity.

LOL - I only bring iso100/125... did read the threads about IR fogging with iso 400 and multiple scans.

Going to Maroco (Marrakech and Essaouira, a week each) for xmas and new year eve and will bring 8x10 sinar, some range finders and other things. When I go shoot on sandy grounds, like beaches, I carry paper plates to stop the tripod from sinking.
    I would also carry umbrella to shelter from the wind, and most probably bring barrel lenses so I dont have dust-in-shutter problems.
    Please when you get back, tell us the situation, like LF in the streets...

... got back a month ago - wonderful trip, I even brought all of the gear to the top of Erg Chebbi (highest point in the dunes around Merzouga.. didn't shoot, though, cause it was a bit windy up there).

Well, generally people aren't really fond of cameras. Marrakech and Essaouira depend solely on tourists, so they are used to have a Canon logo smacked in the face 24-7 - cause you know, 'it's just SOO exotic down there!'

But, that is the point, actually - I received a kind of positive interest, when setting up the LF gear. No hostility whatsoever - just plain curiosity. I shoot architecture and have a weak spot for run-down urban fabrics. So I walked quite a lot around in the outskirts of Marrakech shooting LF and had no problems at all. Sometimes I had 5-10 curious kids around me while setting up and framing with an open bag between my legs. I was certainly worried of having a lens or whatever stolen, but nothing happened. Sometimes the elderly told the kids to leave me alone and people were even willing to wait or move in order to clear my motive from people. I had no problems in the Mellah in Essaouira either (the run down northern part of the city). So I guess the bellows, dark cloth and a proper geek look do wonders! You might consider adding a monocle and some kind of artsy hat to improve cooperation from the locals

... enjoy your trip! I'm sure 8x10 opens twice the doors of 4x5

great one!

really! even the kids know that LF is heavy, slow, and deliberate and they would not get caught handle LF gear.....

and the photos? come on! we know you got em....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

well, yep I have - in my fridge... still not developed

I shot 10 trannies, which I will scan on friday (they look pretty good though) but all the BW will take a while. I'm still a newbie to this and haven't yet developed anything myself... but the HP tank and Xtol powder is at the shelf - will hopefully have the time very soon.

... and when the scans eventually will be there... expect some flaws. I've shot mostly F8-11 and it seems, that my focusing abilities needs some polishing. But I WILL post them...eventually