Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay lens purchases

Thumbs up Ebay lens purchases

Is it just me,... or is the pricing on Ebay as confusing as I think it is?
    I recently picked up two lenses for $250 each.

1) Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6 "Barely Used" SN#532088
    Purchased from individual seller

2) Schneider Symmar-S MC 210mm f/5.6 "Mint" SN#13310801
    Purchased from Brooklyn Camera Exchange
    I had hoped to locate a "minty" Fujinon A 240mm #522XXX but none within grasp of $250

Anyway,...
    I pretty much set a bottom dollar for a "sharp" three lens system in a newly purchased 4x5.
    I hope I'm making sound decisions.
    Buying something cheap is different than getting a bargain.
    And, of course I'm trying to accomplish the latter...
    The pricing varies soooooo vastly that it makes for a dificult decision.
    Furthermore, the conditions like Mint, EX+, barely used, etc,... are no so standardized.
    Sometimes you can see rust, schneideritis, nicks, scratches and the description says it's perfect.
    Other times the sellers say someting generic like "great used condition"... and the lens looks simply outstanding.
    I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from Ebay...

Also trying to pick up a Horseman 6x12 roll back to get started with.
    If one thing seems consistent on Ebay, these damned things hold value and are pricey.
    Might pick up a 6x9 Horeseman roll back just to get the hand of it for 1/4 to 1/5th the cost of the 6x12 back??

I'm sure this conversation has been beaten to death but I'd expect that most lenses are still declining in resell value to a point that is very beneficial to someone looking to enter LF. So I'll continue to make a stab at quality bargain hunting and get other peoples perspective on the situation...

Bill

Re: Ebay lens purchases

you should always check with keh.com to see where a reputable dealer's price lies.

bargain grades are usually good enough for most and ex and ex+ look lightly to hardly used.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Welcome to ebay. That's pretty much the deal--sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes unusable junk. One thing you can be sure of--absolutely no consistency in descriptions. Always factor in the price of a CLA, read between the lines, and ask questions.

I dont really think the 612 backs hold as much value as you think- I sold mine a while back for about $425-450? or so and at the time there were 3-4 of them on the market. Keep your eyes open for them, you might get a good deal as well.

Dave Karp

150s and 210s are usually the most competitive prices because more of those were sold than the focal lengths. If you purchased a multicoated Fuji W (with the lettering on the outside of the barrel), I can tell you from personal experience that it is a very nice lens. There is nothing cheap about it.

Yep,... lettering on the outside of the lens barrel.
    Looks multi-coated from multi-color reflections.
    The heck if I can decipher the date from serial number?

Thx.

KEH rountinely has 180mm lenses for $150 in Bargain condition. I bought a Symmar-S 180mm 5.6 in an electronic shutter for $150 from them. Some people may not like the electronic shutters (and KEH thought the battery was no longer available for it), but I love them.

Brooklyn Camera Exchange does not have a good reputation. Caution advised! Ebay is a crap shoot and you're the one that will usually wind up with the crap. If you want lenses that are in good condition and in properly working shutters, buying from an individual, here, APUG, etc., or from a known reputable dealer will help prevent disappointment and headaches. KEH.com is a very reputable dealer. Their "bargain" grade stuff is usually better than some exc+ or mint- goods. Very conservative, they are.
    Your job is to ask pointed questions and make sure you can return it if it's junk. Beware mail order dealers that toot their own horn too loud. There are a lot of scammers, bait & switch operators, etc. in the mail order game.

Ditto on the Keh.com For lenses only i have purchased three bargain grade lenses. One of them was actually new and about 20 years old in perfect condition!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Asking specific questions of the seller regarding lens condition is the only way to go. Do it well ahead of time so there is plenty of opportunity for the seller to respond, and be detailed enough in what you want to know that you can get a good idea of the condition. I have never had a bad surprise from ebay, because I try to do the homework before I bid. People may tell you its a crapshoot - I wonder how much equipment those people have bought off ebay. For me it's hundreds of items including a slew of great lenses in excellent condition that I would never have been able to afford otherwise. Good luck