Thread: Sacramento Railroad Musuem Photo day

Sacramento Railroad Musuem Photo day

I though some of you might be interested in this photo opportunity. It is rare to be able to shoot in a museum with a large format camera, tripod and before it opens to the public!

http://www.csrmf.org/events-exhibits...ns-and-tripods

Have a great day, Dave

Re: Sacramento Railroad Musuem Photo day

Hmm…$35.

I'll go handheld for the regular entry fee!

I too have always enjoyed shooting Tri-X at 3200!

Interesting! But the following has me shaking my head...

"A special feature for this event will be the running of Sacramento Southern Railroad “Spookomotive Train.” The train is decorated for Halloween with skeletons, spiders, bats and pumpkins, making for some very interesting photos."

A bit corney.

Amateur photographers only and no commerical use of the photos are allowed.

If I was near Sacramento, it might be worth the $35 to play in there.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Hmm…$35.

I'll go handheld for the regular entry fee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Interesting! But the following has me shaking my head...

"A special feature for this event will be the running of Sacramento Southern Railroad “Spookomotive Train.” The train is decorated for Halloween with skeletons, spiders, bats and pumpkins, making for some very interesting photos."

A bit corney.

Amateur photographers only and no commerical use of the photos are allowed.

If I was near Sacramento, it might be worth the $35 to play in there.

Vaughn
    First, somebody has to pay for the staff to open up the doors three hours before the day begins. Next, I agree about the silly Halloween train thing. I wasn't in charge of the copy for their web site. It's outside anyway where anybody can shoot it.

Dave

This all came about because I led one of the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walks in July and asked the museum if they would open the place up early for us. They agreed and it was one of the top 10 attended photo walks in the world out of 900 cities.

I made a Flickr page for our group: (http://www.flickr.com/groups/csrmphotowalk2009/).

The museum was so impressed with the response, they decided to do another so other railfans can have the chance to shoot without the crowds.

The "amateur" statement came out of a concern that commercial photographers might believe they could bring in models, lights even wedding party's etc. for their own shoots. I was concerned that pro's would take offense but, in reality, who would know. The museum just doesn't want calendars, books etc. produced from their assets. It's the same with any museum.

There really is too much to shoot in any one session. I'd suggest looking at the photos produced by amateurs that attended to get an idea of what you want to shoot.

If you have any specific requests, let me know and I'll try to make it happen.

Dave

I tried to arrange for a LF workshop to photograph in the museum after hours ... talked directly to the head curator ... cost was right at $1500/nite. Just for the reasons cited by Dave ... they had to pay staff overtime, delay the cleaning staff, have the lights and HVAC on, extra insurance costs, etc., etc. ... nothing is easy ... or cheap!

So, I think I'll go to this one ... would be nice to try out the Verito in there. I may have trouble interpreting the histograms though ... but first I'll have to find one.

The tripod rules are BS. It's another way for the state govies to have their hand out and cry out for more money. I've gone and taken my tripod to the Nevada State Railroad Museum, and didn't run into a single problem with the staff there. The people in Carson City were much nicer too compared to Sacramento.