Thread: Mt. Rainer Fun

Mt. Rainer Fun

Tuesday morning my wife and I will be heading to Mt. Rainier. She wants to walk around with the dog while I'm bring my 4x5 of love. Anything I should be looking at or anything that you think I may want to shoot? I'll shoot my normal pictures of babies with egg shells on their heads but if there is anything you think is cool, let me know.

santo

PS shooting in bw not color.

Re: Mt. Rainer Fun

Try this...

http://maps.google.com
    enter Paradise, Washington ("WA" might land you in Western Australia)
    then check the "photo" box under the "More..." button upper Right Hand
    Each Square is a photo from that location...if you see something you like then go there are take that picture. You open the square by clicking on it..you can click on the person who posted it and get more of their work.

Actually I was just getting ready to look on google maps. Thanks.

Santo

Where in Mt. Rainier NP are you going? Anywhere, remember pets must be on leashes and limited to the visitor (parking and campground) areas or on the roads, and not on trails, even the paved ones around the Paradise area. Otherwise the pet must be in your car.

As where to go, I'm working on a photography guide with descriptions, list and (Google) maps of places, activities and such things for visitors and photographers. Good luck, just watch the pet, many folks don't appreciate them outside the areas, including rangers. As for conditions, you can check the Paradise Webcams, but they don't start until about 7 am. Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

If you want a really spectacular view of the mountain go to sunrise and hike to 2nd Buroughs Mt.(a tough hike but the view is like none other)but no dogs allowed on the trail. If you like a quieter type of setting go to the carbon river entrance. The former road to the ipsut creek cmpgnd from the entrance is closed due to flood damage(permanent) but the road is a stunning walk through a lowland rain forest with great photo opportunities, very good light, very quiet and dogs are allowed on the road the last time I checked.
    Those are my two favorite spots most others are fairly crowded/noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    If you want a really spectacular view of the mountain go to sunrise and hike to 2nd Buroughs Mt.(a tough hike but the view is like none other)but no dogs allowed on the trail. If you like a quieter type of setting go to the carbon river entrance. The former road to the ipsut creek cmpgnd from the entrance is closed due to flood damage(permanent) but the road is a stunning walk through a lowland rain forest with great photo opportunities, very good light, very quiet and dogs are allowed on the road the last time I checked.
    Those are my two favorite spots most others are fairly crowded/noisy.
    I know I would be up for the hike, but my wife...not a chance.

santo

Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    ... dogs are allowed on the road the last time I checked.
    Except it's no longer a road, closed at the NP entrance, but a hike and bike trail, so dogs aren't allowed, see NP Rules. The floods of November 2006 took out about a mile of the lower road in the NP and subsequent winter floods have only added to the damage. It's been rebuilt as a hike/bike trail only. The NPS pretty much discourages pets unless you're camping.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Reflection Lakes is good if you hit it with the right light and you can setup right out of your car. Narada Falls is another easy subject right out of the car, it's usually in shade so you can take it without worrying about the afternoon light blahs.
    The Carbon Glacier is a great B&W subject if you see it in kind of patchy fog conditions that seem to veil things just right. It's a 14-mile round trip hike-and-bike since the road closed though.

Glenn Mellen

I do hope you have better luck at Mt. Rainier than I have. I'm not convinced it exists... have driven by it four times now... the fellow with me points to a great big cloud laying on the horizon and says "and there's Mt. Rainier." I'm convinced that they've called a cloud a mountain..... ;-)

Thanks for the clarification on the carbon river road it is one of my favorite places in the park.
    Another good spot for spectacular views, if you're up for a stiff hike, is go to glacier basin then pick your way up a foot path to St elmo's pass from there it is a birds eye view of the winthrop glacier. Like I said a stiff hike if you are carrying much gear. And on the way there about half way the trail makes a switchback to go uphill look to the left.....there used to be the lefovers of a narrow gauge railway(mining activity) along with some machinery(old electric motors etc.). I have images taken about six years ago it may have all rusted away or been carried away in the latest flooding.