Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero ektar 2,5 Lens and Studio Strobes, Is it Posible?

Aero ektar 2,5 Lens and Studio Strobes, Is it Posible?

I finaly got a Aero ektar lens for the wonderfull bokeh and a Speed Graphic camera.

What i am not really happy about this is that i cant use it other cameras and with studio strobes due the focal plane shutter where the film exposed in the same time.

So i am searching for altenatives as a extern shutter system where i can use strobes and or a pocket wizzard. This will give me to the chance to use Aero Ektar with any 4x5 camera that will give me more movements.

Any tips and experience, solutions are welcome.
    Lambis Stratoudakis
    www.apneaimages.com/blog

Re: Aero ektar 2,5 Lens and Studio Strobes, Is it Posible?

Get a Sinar P along with a Sinar Shutter and a sacrificial Sinar F2 to use for parts. Or assemble a Sinar Norma system. Mount the lens on a Sinar lensboard and use the Sinar shutter with flash sync. That's roughly $1500 not including a very sturdy tripod.

Or, why would you need strobes with a f/2.5 lens? Models wouldn't exactly melt under the modeling lamps.

Hi Frank and thanks for the tips. So you say i use the Modeling light of the strobe to shoot studio? hmm not bad idea as long they are strong. No i like to use for time to time a studio light with the Aero but most i like to use the Aerso with a Better camera as the speed graphic in terms off movements, exchange lenses and a more acurate shutter as my FP shutter. I take a close look at a sinar shutter if i can find one. From what i fell the shutter will work only with Sinar cameras right?
    Lambis Stratoudakis
    www.apneaimages.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Get a Sinar P along with a Sinar Shutter and a sacrificial Sinar F2 to use for parts.
    The sinar shutter is too narrow for my Aero Ektar, and vignettes down to about f/4 - with the latter mounted so that its rear is as close to the shutter as possible and the latest (a bit wider) shutter, it might perhaps do f/2.5 without vignetting, but with metalwork to the lens, auxiliary standard and bellows and the much more expensive last generation shutter you are unlikely to save anything compared to the (much superior and equally fast) Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 in shutter.

Sevo

Quote Originally Posted by lambis View Post
    From what i fell the shutter will work only with Sinar cameras right?
    It will only directly fit cameras with sinar-compatible bellows attachment - but these were used by a variety of other brands. And it can be made to fit pretty much anything with a front standard at least 15cm square if you have a adapter made - even smaller, if you can make do with a corresponding loss in downward movement.

If you do a little research you will find an entire world of vintage lenses that you may like better than the Aero-Ektar, and for the most part they are inexpensive, at least until our friend Jim Galli popularizes one and its price shoots through the roof.

Also focusing such a fast lens on a breathing human takes a lot of practice and excellent models.

"So i am searching for altenatives as a extern shutter system where i can use strobes and or a pocket wizzard. This will give me to the chance to use Aero Ektar with any 4x5 camera that will give me more movements."

you can front-mount a flash-synched Packard shutter, looks ugly but works well

OR

you can mount the Packard to the rear of a compendium lens shade, looks cleaner and will adapt to any camera large enough for the Ektar.

Yeah there are many great lenses out there and sharp to and i tok my risk with the Aero msot becauce of the characteristics and the feeling of this lens BUT i am sure others are out there that are to Magical.
    Yes stable models you need to have but i have those and i have last day discover that 2.5 is not needed att all as 4.6 do a great work to in full body and its more easy to focus to.
    About the Packard shutter Paul i have read and SKgames told me front mount to but rear behind the compentium shade sounds as a clean solution.
    Off course Price is a issue to as if i go to high up i can easy get a 150 Xenotar with Shuttler. But i was lite unlucky to find enough portrait & model photos done with a 150 xenotar wide open.
    Lambis Stratoudakis
    www.apneaimages.com/blog

In the desert...

Focus, turn out the lights and pop with strobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Focus, turn out the lights and pop with strobe.
    That's what I do. Focus, lights off, open the shutter, manually pop, close the shutter. Because the shutter is open for a relatively long time there is a slight amount of secondary blur from ambient light, which I find pleasing.