Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pump for a 16x20 easel

Vacuum pump for a 16x20 easel

Hello,

I would like to build a vacuum 16x20 easel. Could you advice what vacuum pump will be enough? Which one can be bought on *bay?
    I saw several pumps like item 220467052190 at low prices, are they good?

Thanks.

Re: Vacuum pump for a 16x20 easel

I've used fridge compressors, they are free, but I'm not sure they'd have the volume to do the job.

You may also be able to use a small vacuum cleaner, such as the ones 3M used to make to clean keyboards and electronic components. I have a friend who uses one of these to clear acetate shavings from his LP record cutting lathe.

It's probably not rated for continuous duty like the industrial pumps are, so it might burn up fast. Plus it sounds slow- 'just connect an airline and it pulls vacuum within 2 minutes'..?

I found one like this for not much more. Runs all day without overheating and is instantaneous, even with 12' of air hose and two ports.

The pump shown by item #220467052190 is an air powered venturi pump.. It consumes a huge amount of air and is woefully inefficient.

The item listed by Colin is the way to go. Should be fine for any vacuum frame.

john

Drew Wiley

If your exposure are not too long simply use a small vacuum cleaner, even a cordless one. Doesn't take much. Just make sure the filter is really clean. But never
    use a peristaltic or diaphragm type pump, which will actually cause misicule surges
    at the easel and possibly affect sharpness. And avoid too strong a vacuum unless you have a bleed-off valve. Be certain that there is plenty of internal honeycombing
    within the easel itself, so that the top doesn't deflect when vacuum is applied.

Hmmm.. It occurs to me we might be talking about separate things. I was under the impression you were making a vacuum frame for contact printing- I have no experience with easels to hold silver paper flat when enlarging, so the requirements there might be less. Even so, like John says, stay away from the self-contained venturi pumps, they are inefficient. Typically a venturi needs a separate high duty compressor to run it.

Yes, I assumed we were talking about a contact printing vacuum frame. In fact, I have a picture of the one I built.

If you are talking about a vacuum easel for enlarging, then those will require a much bigger pump as you will have orifices that are always open and the pump will need to pump the air rushing thru open orifices while maintaining a negative pressure at the openings that are blocked by the paper.

In any event, here's a photo of my hard rock maple vacuum frame. The seal is surgical latex tubing. The flexible member is clear vinyl from the hardware store. Use single weight glass if you are using a UV lightsource.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vac Frame 02 small.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Yes, I assumed we were talking about a contact printing vacuum frame. In fact, I have a picture of the one I built.

If you are talking about a vacuum easel for enlarging, then those will require a much bigger pump as you will have orifices that are always open and the pump will need to pump the air rushing thru open orifices while maintaining a negative pressure at the openings that are blocked by the paper.

In any event, here's a photo of my hard rock maple vacuum frame. The seal is surgical latex tubing. The flexible member is clear vinyl from the hardware store. Use single weight glass if you are using a UV lightsource.
    That's a beauty.

wfwhitaker

I have two Bychrome vacuum easels, a 16x20 and a 20x24. Each came with a vacuum unit that's very similar to a home vacuum cleaner, produces about the same vacuum and produces at least as much noise. I have another large vacuum easel made by Durst which uses a large Gast vacuum pump. I'm not sure why the difference, but the Bychrome easels have larger holes. The pumps with the Bychrome easels appear to move a larger amount of air more slowly while the Gast pump moves a smaller amount of air more quickly. I think of it as low impedence vs. high impedence, but I may not be completely accurate in my analogy. At any rate, there is probably a relationship between the qualities of the pump used and the load to which it is attached (meaning hole size, tube diameter, etc.). For simplicity's sake, if I were to build such an easel, I'd plan on simply using a home vacuum cleaner or a wet-dry vac, possibly with a bleed valve as mentioned to limit the amount of vacuum pulled. Then drill whatever size holes are needed in the easel itself for it to work correctly. There should be no need buy an expensive vacuum pump. If you're making a vacuum frame for contact printing, that may be another story.