Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shutter speed test

shutter speed test

I have a Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter which fits onto the front of the lens. The slowest speed doesn't work but the others do. I have no way of telling what those speeds really are. Is there a piece of software which will enable me to use my iSight webcam as a shutter speed tester? I know it's a long shot but if you don't ask....
    Alex

hacker extraordinaire

Re: shutter speed test

If you can turn the frame rate way up, you could just video the shutter in action, then see how many frames it takes to open and close with a video editing program. Or even just stepping through the frames with mplayer.

you can make a very simple shutter speed tester using a phototransistor that will use your soundcard; I made one and used it a lot. Here's a diagram I made of it. It's better to use a pot instead of the two resistors, that way it's adjustable.

There's a free sound editing program called ''Audacity'' that's used in conjunction with the DIY ''Sound Card Shutter Tester''. Dont know if it would be of any help to you...?
    http://freewarecentral.net/audacity?...FaAA4wodzyM8JQ

Thank you for your replies. There is no 'click' at the beginning and end of the exposure like modern Copals, it's a continuous noise. The sound card idea wouldn't work in this instance. Counting video frames could well be the way to do it.
    Since posting the question the string for cocking the shutter broke. I now have to have it repaired.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Tymków View Post
    Thank you for your replies. There is no 'click' at the beginning and end of the exposure like modern Copals, it's a continuous noise. The sound card idea wouldn't work in this instance. Counting video frames could well be the way to do it.
    Since posting the question the string for cocking the shutter broke. I now have to have it repaired.
    Alex
    The apuratus allows light to hit a diode that mimics sound for the sound card. It's not actual sound you are measuring but the time that the light is on. There was a guy on fleabay selling these as a package for less than the time and hassle it would take for you to make one for yourself.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Have you considered doing the equivalent of test trips with reversal film? That's how I found that my then new (to me) Speed Graphic's focal plane shutter's speeds were close enough to my light meter's recommendations.

The "sound card" testers use a photo transistor that plugs into the 3.5 mm jack of a computer. Used with sound editor software, you can record and graph the duration of a light beam streaming through the shutter and thus striking the diode. There are other sound editors but the two that I'm familiar with, Audacity and Goldwave work great as they have extremely fine graduations of timing and can be downloaded for free. (Audacity is what I use with OS X on my MacBook Pro. Goldwave is Windows only, and a ~$40 registration to get rid of the nag screen). I made a very simple diode tester using a $13 fast rise photo transistor housed in a small project box (with no battery needed with my Mac), for under $20.

Shutter Speed Tester Installed on my Chamonix!

I just mounted my shutter speed tester that I bought off Ebay for around $30. It's essentially the circuit above, very simple, which hooks up to a computer running the free Audacity software. Here's how I made it work with my Chamonix:

1) Carefully remove ground glass frame.
    2) Unscrew the four washers that holds the GG and fresnel in place with a #1 Phillips screwdriver. Set both aside in a safe place.
    3) Re-install ground glass frame, now with no glass, onto the camera.
    3) Remove both darkslides from a film holder that you don't want anymore.
    4) Drill a 3/16" hole for the LED to shine through. In mine there is an on/off switch that needs some clearance, so I drilled my hole offset to the left.
    5) Mount velcro on the darkslide, using masking tape to frame where the boundaries are.(Picture #1)
    6) Mount velcro on the shutter tester.(Picture #2)
    7) Set up camera on tripod. Do not install lens yet.
    8) Slide the modified film holder into place.(Picture #3)
    9) Velcro shutter tester in place.(Picture #4)
    10) Look through the lensboard hole to verify that the LED is sticking through the hole. Reposition as necessary.
    11) Verify it works with flashlight (follow the included instructions with the unit).
    Eric

Chamonix 45N-1 (Sold!)
    Panasonic DMC-G1 & GF1

Dave Karp

Does this seller offer these regularly? Do you have a link or reference to the seller?

I just did a search on Ebay and it didn't show up. I bought it a couple of months ago....
    Eric

Chamonix 45N-1 (Sold!)
    Panasonic DMC-G1 & GF1