Thread: Hello from the UK

Hello from the UK

Greetings,

I've been a 35mm user for many years and 2 years ago went DLSR. I am now feeling the urge to go Large and am hoping to gather as much advise and info as possible in order to select the right gear and learn how to use it effectively.

So far I seem to be leaning towards a Shen Hao 4x5 or Fotoman 617 II setup with Fotoman being slightly ahead in preference, but alas I've found out that Fotoman are no more and I'm not having much luck in sourcing a 617. If anyone can help on this point I would be most grateful.

Once I do get myself sorted out with some new kit I would be also interested in getting some one-on-one training on how to use the gear and best practices as I am completely green to this format so if there are any LF people in the UK offering such services then please raise your hands. Also I'm not averse to travelling abroad to get such medicine 8)

Thanks and Kind regards,
    Roger.

Re: Hello from the UK

Hi Roger
    Try a look at www.lf-photo.org.uk

We are having a workshop in October in Snowdonia if you're interested?
    Paul

Welcome to group therepy! We have lots of regulars from your neck of the woods (speaking of the UK generally) and I'm sure you can find some help somewhere not too distant.

You've found a good place to come to Roger. Lots of assistance and knowledge available in the archives and from this forum's enthusiastic contributors.

As above - there's the UK forum too.

I'll PM you with my phone number if you want a chat.

Smile Re: Hello from the UK

Hi Roger! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys for the greetings and encouragement. Been away a few days but have managed to source a Fotoman 617 MkII-L which I hope will arrive in time for me to get familiar with it and hopefully take it with me on a short trip to Vermont first week in October.

I hope I do get to grips with it and like it and I'm still keen to try out 4 x 5 and all without the wife finding out. So if this line of communication goes dead quite for a very long time you'll know I've been rumbled.

Hi Roger

Welcome - I am from bedfordshire too - may be we can make contact at some stage.

Hi Roger

Welcome to the wonderful world of LF. Re the one to one tuition/courses, send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerT View Post
    ... I would be also interested in getting some one-on-one training on how to use the gear and best practices as I am completely green to this format so if there are any LF people in the UK offering such services then please raise your hands. Also I'm not averse to travelling abroad to get such medicine 8)
    Well, as part of the UKLFPG annual activities, we are offering a free weekend (9th - 11th October) in Capel Curig, this time being organised by Paul Owen.

Over the same weekend I shall be leading a beginners workshop in Brittany which will cost you €250 plus accomodation - but you will get to drink in that French atmosphere
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG