Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Texas

Random Pixel Generator

Re: Hello from Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Do you have any double dark slide holders like shown in the link Bob provided?
    Unless I've got another box around here somewhere (and I'm pretty sure that I don't), I don't have that kind of holder. Mine are all film packs, polaroid type or the Kodak single sheet that I mentioned above...

Random Pixel Generator

OK... I think I'm starting to figure some of this out

Polaroid 545i can only be used with polaroid type film which has been discontinued. I've got 40 sheets of B&W that I could try and Fuji makes a couple of different films that will work in the holders.

Fuji Quickload. This is the holder that I need to use for sheet film however I have to use their Quickload film. Not exactly cheap but at least I can shoot.

Kodak Readyload. I'm not sure if I can use this or not. It seems like a version of the Quickloader

If you're concerned about the weight and bulk of carrying multiple double film holders as you hint at in post #19 you might consider using Grafmatic holders. They hold six sheets. Many people love these but some may find them a bit quirky to operate.

Lastly, you might be happiest using Fuji Quickload films. Do a search here on the forum. There are many who really like this option. They're easy, fast, and are very lightweight compared to either double holders or Grafmatics.

Random Pixel Generator

Let me ask you this... is the sheet holder specific to the camera or can I buy double film holders and use them in any 4x5 camera (any is relative. I'm concerned about the Linof). I've been thinking Hasselblad and how their backs are specific to the camera. That doesn't sound like the case with 4x5.

Right now I am open to anything and willing to try the Quickload or double film holder or both.

Random Pixel Generator

You know what I don't like about the Quickload setup? Very limited film selection...

I understand and share your wariness regarding the lack of film variety for Quickloads. However, there "may" be some hope this will improve. Read here... http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=quickload

Standard double dark slide holders are universal. There are non-standard (older) exceptions... just be sure to get the average everyday variety which abound used for very reasonable cost.

Grafmatics are also universal. They just slide in like the DDS holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lloyd View Post
    Thanks Bob. That is a great link

It triggered a question or two...

Do you put only one sheet of film in a film holder? I can't see me standing on a cactus covered hill in the middle of Big Bend with one sheet of film and one chance to get it right... not to sound whiny but there's got to be something I'm missing...

It seems like you have to go to a lot of trouble to put film into and take it out of a holder. I don't have a single room in my house that doesn't have a window... what if you are in the field (backpacking for instance). I've got to be missing something...
    I see others have answered some of your questions. Why ordinary sheet film holders?

Simply comes down to cost. You can buy 4x5 film in a 50/100 sheet box typically for more or less one dollar per sheet for B&W and load them yourself into film holders. Quickloads are 3 to 4 X that. Not much selection either. Gonna cost you a one time expense for a changing bag, or just have a (very) dark room.

Yes they have 2 sides so you normally load 2 sheets (one each side).

Do your first couple of tries in the light with cheap expired film. Or shot and exposed film. See how it works so doing it in the dark is second nature.

bob

Random Pixel Generator

I came to the same conclusion as the result of this thread. I don't mind playing with the last little bit of B&W Polaroid film that I have but I can't see spending $4.00 a sheet or more when all I need is a place to load and unload film.

Speaking of that. I found two different changing bags with significantly different cost.

Arista

and

Photoflex

The Photoflex unit isn't really a bag...

Do you have a recomendation?

Some basic answers for you:

1. The Type 55 P/N Polaroid film is rather special, in that instead of the paper negative it uses a real film negative (plus the positive print, of course). After making the exposure and processing like regular Polaroid film (more about this in a second), you would peel the paper surround off the film and slide it into a holding tank that was filled with, as I recall from dim memory, a sodium sulfite solution. The plastic tanks can still be had. All of this was done in daylight, so it was really quite easy. The Type 55 negative had a somewhat narrow tonal range, but it was quite usable. The point is: If you have some 55, you might either want to equip yourself for dealing with the negatives, or learn on something else and wait until you are ready (or sell it someone who wants it for what it is). It is discontinued and it seems a shame to waste the negatives through inability to deal with them.

1a. You shoot Polaroid sheet film by moving the lever to the O position, insert the film until it stops, pull out the paper leader (which acts as a dark slide) until it stops, make the exposure, push the paper leader back in, flip the lever the other way, and pull it all out as a package. That last pull bursts the chemical packs and squeegies the chemical into the sandwich between the negative and the positive. Then, wait for the prescribed amount of time (different for different films and temperature dependent), and peel it apart. At that point, you would peel off the paper from the edge of the plastic Type 55 negative and slide it into the clearing tank.

1b. The modern Fujiroid approach. There is no longer any Polaroid sheet film that goes into your 545 holder (though you can use Quickload film in that holder). But you can get a Fuji PA-45 (or Polaroid 405--again fuzzy memory there) holder and buy the Fuji 4x5 pack film. Follow the instructions that come with it. If you just want to play and get instant feedback, that's the best way for now.

2. The Readyload system was offered by Kodak for their paper-sleeved conventional film, but they have discontinued it. Your Readyload holder is therefore basically useless, unless you come into a stock of old Readload film.

3. The Quickload system is still current, though, as you have discovered, Fuji doesn't offer many films using that system. That film will work both in your Quickload holder and in the Polaroid 545 holder. But it's not instant film--it's just conventional film that uses the paper sleeve so you don't have to load film holders.

4. Sheet film holders are most commonly made by Riteway, Fidelity, or Lisco. A visit to KEH.com will show many of these for sale. The newer ones are plastic, and use an FRP dark slide. You pull the dark slide, rotate one end to open the film slot, hold the film with the notches on the upper right (so that the emulsion is facing you), and slide it into the film holder. Then, fold the end back over and reinsert the dark slide. In the field, you slide it under the ground glass, pull the dark slide, make the exposure, replace the dark slide, and remove the holder. The holders hold two sheets and have two dark slides, so you can turn it over and make another exposure.

5. Get a copy of Ansel Adams's The Camera and The Negative. In any excursion into large-format photography, these classics are still completely current.

6. Your camera has an International back--also known as a Graflok back--that allows you to remove the ground-glass frame after focusing and composing, and install a roll-film holder. That becomes yet another film option, though you give up a lot of the format. Roll-film holders for all the medium formats are readily available, and often for about $200ish for good used 6x9 holders or a new Shen-Hao 6x12 holder.

Rick "who lived in Houston, College Station, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas before being exiled to Virginia" Denney

I have an ancient Zone VT bag that has been doing service for many years. The nice setup is the tent by Harrison. Really any light tight bag with proper light-traps will work great.

All the bags you mention will work fine. I use the bag in subdued light, never in bright light as a precaution, and have never fogged film.
    If I'm loading high iso film, I wear a long sleeve black t-shirt as insurance. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lloyd View Post
    Speaking of that. I found two different changing bags with significantly different cost.

Arista

and

Photoflex

The Photoflex unit isn't really a bag...

Do you have a recomendation?