Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cable release thread snapped off in shutter release thread

cable release thread snapped off in shutter release thread

I guess my 50 dollar cable release really wasn't worth as much as I paid. I was shooting the other day and the release simply fell out. There was no unnatural twisting or turning or pressure on my part.

So now I am stuck with about 4 turns of a cable release thread stuck in the shutter release of my copal shutter. I have no idea how to get these threads out. Help?

Re: cable release thread snapped off in shutter release thread

Most modern cable releases have a tapered thread, so it should be fairly easy to unscrew the broken part. Try placing a very small drill bit--ideally a left-turning drill bit--into the broken-off part, and slowly turn it out by hand. Be patient, go slowly, and be very gentle, and it should come right out.

My best guess would be to buy the smallest size Easy-Out at a hardware or auto supply store. It is sort of like a screw with reversed threads. As you screw it into the hollow treads of the cable release (turning it counter-clock-wise), it will eventually jam itself tightly and then start turning the broken cable release threads.

Good luck! My only use of easy-outs have been auto-related (man...don't I hate breaking bolts off in flywheels!)

Vaughn

I have had that happen as well, I just stuck a tiny jewelers screw driver in the hole and it came out easily. Good luck
    erik

I will try all of these soon, thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rphenning View Post
    I guess my 50 dollar cable release really wasn't worth as much as I paid.
    Gepe?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

One reason why I use the Linhof quick cable release mount on all my 4x5 and 8x10 lenses: no screwing to do, nothing to break off......

Peter

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If I didn't think it was an invitation for disaster, I'd be tempted to say something like, "Nothing like that ever happened to me" and "I have never spent that much money on a cable release". But that might bring bad luck. So let me say this: Sorry to hear about your dilemna. A small screwdriver jammed in the hole (or easy-out if you have one that size) will likely remove the remnant with very little effort.

I'm with you. The one time I spent big bucks on a cable release, it was to buy an Ebony. Now, I have had great luck with the Ebony and I think it is a great product. But I have two Nikon AR-3s that I think are every bit as well built and feel smoother. So while I won't say anything negative about "expensive" cable releases, I think you can do just as well for twenty bucks or less. I got a Gepe used for about ten bucks that looked, felt and smelled brand new. It broke on third outing where I put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If I didn't think it was an invitation for disaster, I'd be tempted to say something like, "Nothing like that ever happened to me" and "I have never spent that much money on a cable release". But that might bring bad luck. So let me say this: Sorry to hear about your dilemna. A small screwdriver jammed in the hole (or easy-out if you have one that size) will likely remove the remnant with very little effort.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

unfortunately nothing worked. I am now looking for a new release mount for my Copal 1.

To add some clarification the shutter release was not 50 dollars. I made a mistake in claiming it to be so, it was closer to $15-20. The entire order that the release came with was around $70 so I think I might have replaced that in my head / subconsciously wanted to be dramatic. I found this out when I looked up the order to find out who made it so I could write them some fan mail.