Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mm Apo Symmar-L "Real-World" Film Coverage

150mm Apo Symmar-L "Real-World" Film Coverage

Hi All,

I searched but found no reference to my question.

Has anyone really pushed this lens to its real-world limits regarding film coverage? I'm trying to keep the weight/bulk/expense of my system down and can live with just a bit of image degradation on the corners but not much. I want the quality to be good enough for very high quality 24x60 inch prints.

This is for 4x10 landscapes and I won't need much lens displacement. The diagonal of the film is 255mm and the "rated" spec of this lens is 233mm. I can get a used 150mm SS XL but I'd rather not spend that much cash if I can avoid it.

Thanks In Advance!!
    Mike

Re: 150mm Apo Symmar-L "Real-World" Film Coverage

If you're willing to play the tight coverage game, you might look out for a 150mm Apo-Sironar (no letter designation, NOT "N" or "S") or Apo-Sironar-W. Rated coverage is 252mm at f/22 and infinity focus. It's very compact and lightweight. And although they're a bit hard to find, when you do track one down you'll likely pay less than a new 150mm Apo-Symmar L will cost.

Oren, thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for one of those. I suspect that it weighs more than a 150 SS XL but, of course, it will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I suspect that it weighs more than a 150 SS XL but, of course, it will cost.
    The 150 Apo-Sironar-W is *much* smaller and lighter than the 150 SS XL. It's a terrific little lens, an especially sweet match to an ultralight 5x7 like a Nagaoka.

Really? With that much coverage and the f/4.5 speed plus the older non-aspheric design I expected it to weigh at least as much as a SS XL of the same FL. That's great news!! Any idea of the actual weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The 150 Apo-Sironar-W is *much* smaller and lighter than the 150 SS XL. It's a terrific little lens, an especially sweet match to an ultralight 5x7 like a Nagaoka.

Oren

The 150 Apo Sironar and the 150 Apo Sironar W are the same lens. The W was just made later.

Bob -

Understood. As is the 150 Sinaron-WS, of course.

Mike -

The 150 Apo-Sironar(-W) and the 150 SS XL are both f/5.6, not f/4.5. Not that it matters - unless you're planning to take funky wide-open 4x10 portraits, you're likely to be stopped down to f/22 and beyond anyway. You did mention landscapes.

Honestly, although I think the 150 Apo-Sironar(-W) is a fabulous lens and I adore mine, if I were working in 4x10 I'd rather use the 150 SS XL. Using a lens with barely adequate coverage on a view camera with movements gets to be a drag, really quickly. At least in my experience, that's true even for panoramic formats, where I still like to use some front rise now and then. I'd only consider the Apo-Sironar(-W) for 4x10 if I were trying to build an ultralight outfit around a helical-focusing camera without movements like the 4x10 Fotoman.

At any rate, the weight of the 150 Apo-Sironar-W in Copal 1 is specified as 366 grams.

A couple of "classic" lenses come to mind that should offer good coverage for 4x10 stopped down, with focal lengths not too far from 150mm: 159mm Wollensak WA and 6.5x8.5 Series V Protar. Both are very compact. Image character will be different from modern lenses. I hesitate to say much about them because I haven't used either and I'm not especially knowledgeable about older lenses. But maybe one of our classic lens experts can jump in here.

Bob, thank you.

Oren, I've decided to buy the 150 SS XL that Jim Galli put up for sale today. The Apo Sironar would have been nice to keep the weight down... it's about half that of the SS XL... but I agree that the extra coverage is very nice to have.

I'm not shooting portraits and I will be stopping down for best DOF/sharpness compromise. I only mentioned the aperture because the chart I saw listed the Apo Sironar as being f/4.5 and this could be an indicator of size/weight which is a close secondary concern.

Thanks again!!
    Mike

Great, that should serve you well. Good luck, and enjoy!