Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 5,6/360mm

Re: Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 5,6/360mm

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    Rick, reportedly that 8-1/2 f/4.5 is a convertible plasmat, not a tessar. Some folks report that they cover 8x10. Is it labeled a "Type-S"? Count reflections or try it converted. The real test is if the front cell will form an image on a wall. The front cell of a tessar will not. Let us know please.
    Well, that jumps right into the "No sh$%?" category. As soon as I get home, I will absolutely look.

Rick "stand by" Denney

Rick, reportedly that 8-1/2 f/4.5 is a convertible plasmat, not a tessar. Some folks report that they cover 8x10. Is it labeled a "Type-S"? Count reflections or try it converted. The real test is if the front cell will form an image on a wall. The front cell of a tessar will not. Let us know please.
    Okay, I checked. The label ring reads: "ILEX PARAGON ANASTIGMAT F:4.5 E.F. 8-1/2" Series S No. 50940"

And it is a Tessar, without question. It has a cemented doublet in the rear cell that is nearly plano where it faces the shutter, and two air-spaced elements in the front cell. The rear cell's focal length is 2/3rds or 3/4 the complete lens, and the front will not focus an image.It is single coated, and mounted in a No. 4 Universal with shutter speeds on the old series. Everything about the way it looks suggests the 1950's.

As to coverage, I can't say, but I always took it to have been intended as a fast normal lens for the 5x7 format.

EDIT: More searching on the Internet suggests that the Ilex-Calumet Series S Caltar 8-1/2" (215mm) f/4.8
    lens is a convertible plasmat. I saw a picture of it on another forum in an Ilex shutter (looks more like a No. 3 than a No. 4) with two sets of aperture markings. Not the same lens.

Rick "just the facts" Denney

Interesting, I had deluded myself that "Series S" was meant to imply symmetrical, like the Ilex built Calumet 8-1/2 inch "Type S" lenses that preceded their arrangement with Schneider. On second thought that lens was f/4.8. You have certainly described a tessar. Thanks for checking, and sorry to get your hopes up or whatever.

sorry to get your hopes up or whatever.
    Not hopes--I like the lens a lot as it is. But if it turned out to be usefully convertible--that's always worth knowing. Mainly, I was surprised and curious.

Rick "for whom this lens has earned its keep" Denney