Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 4990 settings

Epson 4990 settings

I know the Epson 4990 is popular for LF scanning for its value and good LF results.

I am confused by is interface. Under Configuration--Color-ICM, the only target color spaces are Adobe RGB, Apple RGB and Colormatch RGB.

Doesn't choosing one of those rob you of the maximum color space available? Is it better to choose "No Color Correction"?

Re: Epson 4990 settings

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I know the Epson 4990 is popular for LF scanning for its value and good LF results.

I am confused by is interface. Under Configuration--Color-ICM, the only target color spaces are Adobe RGB, Apple RGB and Colormatch RGB.

Doesn't choosing one of those rob you of the maximum color space available? Is it better to choose "No Color Correction"?
    You should choose Configuration--Color-No Management (or whatever the exact words are). The correct workflow is to scan the film with no profile at all, then assign the profile, you have made for your particular transparency film, in Photoshop.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    You should choose Configuration--Color-No Management (or whatever the exact words are). The correct workflow is to scan the film with no profile at all, then assign the profile, you have made for your particular transparency film, in Photoshop.
    If I choose "No Color Correction" all Adjustment options are disabled, including Dust Removal.

Another question, Joanna. This assumes I have gone out of my way to create a profile for my transparency film. I have not. Is that the only to get good results? The printer also came with Silverfast SE. Is that better than the Epson program? Also, I use mainly Lightroom 2 rather than Photoshop. Is there a way to get decent results without creating profiles?

Also, choosing No Color Correction disables all options; wouldn't it be better to make some overall changes before scanning, since the scanner does not produce "RAW" images but TIFF files.
    Last edited by Rider; 27-Aug-2009 at 07:56. Reason: typos

Another question, Joanna. This assumes I have gone out of my way to create a profile for my transparency film. I have not. Is that the only to get good results? The printer also came with Silverfast SE. Is that better than the Epson program? Also, I use mainly Lightroom 2 rather than Photoshop. Is there a way to get decent results without creating profiles?

Also, choosing No Color Correction disables all options; wouldn't it be better to make some overall changes before scanning, since the scanner does not produce "RAW" images but TIFF files.
    If you are using a profiled workflow to scan transparencies, then the Epson software does not allow you to make any adjustments whilst scanning; I simply scan the film, as is, and then clean it up in Photoshop; the results are fine. I don't know about Silverfast; I can't stand the user interface.

Scanning transparencies without a profile can be done but getting rid of colour casts, etc is very difficult; the profile assures you of a decent colour balance, no matter what the software you use for editing the scanned image.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

If I choose "No Color Correction" all Adjustment options are disabled, including Dust Removal.
    Remove your dust manually. I make sure my negs, glass, and carrier are FOD before I scan, that was I can scan raw (not RAW) images and do all my clean up in PS afterwards.

If you are using a profiled workflow to scan transparencies, then the Epson software does not allow you to make any adjustments whilst scanning; I simply scan the film, as is, and then clean it up in Photoshop; the results are fine. I don't know about Silverfast; I can't stand the user interface.
    So for colour work you don't even adjust the scanning preview histogram points?

I wanted to post a picture I scanned. I can't see the button for that.

I know what you mean about Silverfast; it's a very German interface. My copy doesn't work on Windows 7, so it's a moot point.

Creating a profile for every film and speed? How do you go about doing that?

I use Vuescan and it is very good. It's a free download to try;

https://www.hamrick.com/

I find it a better interface than the Silverfast for me but I have 'the kitchen sink' turned on. The simple setting work well too.

Found the button.

So here is y first scan in a long time after a few minutes of tinkering in Lightroom.