Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Expression 10000XL Scanner

Epson Expression 10000XL Scanner

I have done a search on this forum without any results on this scanner. I'm curious if anyone out there uses one. I'd be looking at it for scanning 4x10, 5x7, and 8x10. Epson has them marked down to $1800. If I read the info correctly, you can set the focus with the scanner and it scans at 2400 which would probably be sufficient for my needs. Also, I believe it includes the transparency holder. Any opinions, comments? Please note, I'm not interested in a drum scanner, but in a flatbead that will give me decent quality. Thanks. Jim

Re: Epson Expression 10000XL Scanner

All I'm seeing at the Epson site is a refurb unit of the Graphic Arts version, not including the transparency adapter, marked down to $1899 in the Epson Clearance Center. Is that what you're looking at?

B&H stocks this new at $2170, so I'm not sure how good a deal it really is.

Oren,

Obviously my reading skills have and/or eyesight itsn't what it used to be. I thought it included the transparency holder whereas I see it is an optional part and adds another $500 or so.

Would still be interested in hearing anyone's take on this line of scanners. Thanks. Jim

If your needs don't exceed 8x10, the V700-V750 twins may be sufficient.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

On the face of it, the price of the 10000XL is certainly disproportionate if you don't need tabloid size. But does anyone know from experience whether the autofocus feature mentioned in the product flyer makes any difference in scan quality?

That would make a difference. If it works.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    But does anyone know from experience whether the autofocus feature mentioned in the product flyer makes any difference in scan quality?
    Scans on an Epson V750/700 can't be told apart from the 10000XL when they are both focused (maybe a better way to say it: I can't tell them apart). The 10000XL makes correct focus a job of 2 clicks while there is an aftermarket to try and get the V750/700 in focus. Then again, even then, if your negatives aren't flat on the scanner....

My day job is running a digital lab with a multitude of Epson scanners including all of the above-mentioned models.

I have both the V750 and 100000xl. The V750 has an edge in Dmax and does a slightly better job with 35 mm film. Don't see any difference with 120 film on up. The manual and auto focus is a joy to use on the 100000xl over with playing with those focusing tabs on the V750. Neither come with 5x7 or 4x10 holders but I suppose you can get those after market. If you can get the 10000xl Pro with the transperancy head for $1800, it's a steal. If you plan on scanning large artwork, the 10000xl is a workhorse. But if you are just going to scan film up to 8x10, the V750 will fill your needs as a good starting scanner. If I get a job to scan some film, I usually go to the V750 since it has better software, but if there is a rush on it, I go to the 10000xl. It's a lot easier to use scanner because of the focusing.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Jeremy, Greg, thanks for jumping in here. Does the AF feature on the 10000XL work well if you're just plunking very large sheet film negatives straight on the glass? I'm thinking 7x17 or 11x14. (Yes, I know the transparency adapter will cut off just a bit of the length on a 7x17.)

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Jeremy, Greg, thanks for jumping in here. Does the AF feature on the 10000XL work well if you're just plunking very large sheet film negatives straight on the glass? I'm thinking 7x17 or 11x14. (Yes, I know the transparency adapter will cut off just a bit of the length on a 7x17.)
    Why not? It works very well with reflective art copy. I've actually copied artwork though glass with the autofocus. (Sometime I get clients that don't want to remove their artwork from frames.) I'd be concerned with those nasty contact rings you'd get with film touching glass though. You could probably rig up a spacer to get the film off of the glass. Those larger negs could be stitched together in PS.
    I just did a 30x30" canvas for a client that took 6 seperate scans and talk about point of focus shifts from different sections of the work! Here you are dealing with getting the texture of the weave to match up and be in focus from scan to scan. Autofocus saved the day for sure.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.