Thread: Printing 5, 13" x 44" prints to make one large one...up-resing question, advice!

Printing 5, 13" x 44" prints to make one large one...up-resing question, advice!

Hi there,

I just found this forum and it seems like it could be the perfect fit. I read a few thing about film, so I hope it's not just a purist forum, as I had to make the switch to digital in 2003 for work.

I'm making these photos to bring out to burning man, and the first set came out a little pixelated. Nothing horrible, but I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

I'm shooting with a Nikon D3, and the images come out at something like, well, exactly like, 14.187" x 9.44" at 300 dpi.

I'm making a piece that will be 44" x 66", printed at 5, 13" x 44" prints.

So I went in a made the image 44" high, which made it 64.364 dpi.

I heard along the road that you wanted to print at at least 180 dpi.

So I went in and increased the dpi by 10 until I was up to 180.

They actually look pretty good put upon close inspection you can see big pixels.

I have heard of genuine fractals, but I don't know much about it, and i was just hoping to get some advice on how do this process in the best manner.

Thanks much in advance, sorry if this is too much info!!!

Best,

Jayme

Re: Printing 5, 13" x 44" prints to make one large one...up-resing question, advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayme Halbritter View Post
    Hi there,

I just found this forum and it seems like it could be the perfect fit. I read a few thing about film, so I hope it's not just a purist forum, as I had to make the switch to digital in 2003 for work.

I'm making these photos to bring out to burning man, and the first set came out a little pixelated. Nothing horrible, but I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

I'm shooting with a Nikon D3, and the images come out at something like, well, exactly like, 14.187" x 9.44" at 300 dpi.

I'm making a piece that will be 44" x 66", printed at 5, 13" x 44" prints.

So I went in a made the image 44" high, which made it 64.364 dpi.

I heard along the road that you wanted to print at at least 180 dpi.

So I went in and increased the dpi by 10 until I was up to 180.

They actually look pretty good put upon close inspection you can see big pixels.

I have heard of genuine fractals, but I don't know much about it, and i was just hoping to get some advice on how do this process in the best manner.

Thanks much in advance, sorry if this is too much info!!!

Best,

Jayme
    Start with RAW files and download a copy of Capture One Pro and do output scaling directly from there @ 300 DPI. It has excellent uprez capabilities. However I don't think you can expect interpolated output on that scale to look very good close up.

If you have Photoshop you may wish to try uprezing directly or partially from ACR. It isn't as good as Capture One Pro though, at least IMO.

If you are uprezing from JPGs then you have some real problems ahead of you.

There is also another product by Alien Skin called "Blow Up" that you may wish to try.

You can download trial versions of Blow Up and Capture One Pro from their respective
    web sites.

Don Bryant

Re: Printing 5, 13" x 44" prints to make one large one...up-resing question, advice!

Qimage is your cheapest and IMO best bet. All the other suggestions are good but they are memory eaters. It will do your resizing and if your printers is just a 13" it will figure out how to place the image on each 44" run to match them up etc. It will do all of your calculations for you, you just drop the image in and Qimage will do the rest.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Qimage is your cheapest and IMO best bet. All the other suggestions are good but they are memory eaters. It will do your resizing and if your printers is just a 13" it will figure out how to place the image on each 44" run to match them up etc. It will do all of your calculations for you, you just drop the image in and Qimage will do the rest.
    Greg makes a good point, I totally forgot about Qimage.

Don