Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll about your field notes

A poll about your field notes

For just about every LF shot I take, I write down notes w/pencil and spiral pad.

Depending on conditions & my attitude, this scribbling may record no more than exposure – shutter speed and aperture. Other times, I may wax poetic – or scientific – and fill pages. A few times, the “need for speed,” or even my spiritual absorption in a scene, means no notes are taken – that is, not until well after the shot.

It leaves me curious about what field notes you write down (if anything at all) for landscapes, architecture, portrait, or studio shots. If you do, I’d enjoy learning more about your habits in this quick poll – and hearing additional comments. And if you remember a concrete situation why notes were critical to take – or better to forego – please share!

Re: A poll about your field notes

I write for every shot, speed, f stop, lens used, filter if any and how i need to develope (N+-) Rarely what the subject was but i often regret not taking those notes.

I use Rite-in-the-Rain surveyors notebooks. Waterproof.

They have become a photography diary...fun to go through. Info gets transferred to the outside of the negative's paper envelope. Never (or rarley) a quetion of where and when I have taken an image.

Vaughn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NotebookPageSample.jpg  

Would any of you guys use an iPhone app that served this purpose?

Sometimes I'll sketch the scene first, if it is a landscape.
    Unless it is tricky, I'll guess at the meter reading. If I know for sure it will be tricky I'lll have some notes made beforehand to consult and these will be in a small spiral notebook. If there is info I want to keep with the negative I'll use a little post it note directly on the film holder (it'll usually fall off though, endowing my spent film holders an element of mystery which I find invigorating)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I note the holder number, the basic exposure information, whether the metering indicated N, N-1, or whatever processing, and possibly something about the subject, date and/or time if that seems pertinent. I use an inexpensive 'perfect bound' notebook (spirals take more space, and over time the wire spiral becomes distorted), and later transfer the information to a record sheet that resides in a binder next to a proof sheet and that also holds processing and printing notes.

And unlike Herioque, I use a fountain pen for my notes. A fountain pen adds a measure of elegance to the process - and draws almost as much spectator attention as the big camera!

On my record sheets I record the date, place, scene description, exposure keys and filter info and development. Sometimes I record my thoughts, but these generally go into a notebook I carry. These sheets are in a pad and I put the sheet into the ziplock bag along with the film holder.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I typically write holder no. and side, focal length, f-stop and shutter speed, but most importantly, I make a quick pencil sketch to aid developing by inspection. As a side point, I have become increasingl interested in how my photography and sketching/painting have been influenced by the other. Cheers, DJ

More power to you guys - I'm lucky if I get an "exposed" sticker on the Quickload clip.

BTZS -- PalmPilot and ExpoDev. The best of all worlds