Thread: Kodak Ektapan Question

Kodak Ektapan Question

I noticed that Kodak is offering a B&W film called Ektapan in various sizes incl uding 5x7 and 11x14. In the Kodak website it is touted as a fine grained film de signed for electronic flash portrature and commercial applications but can be sh ot with natural light. T Max RS developer is also one of the developers that can be used. Has anyone experience with this film that you can share with us? Many thanks.

Kodak Ektapan Question

I've been using Ektapan because is the only 4x5 film available here in the shops in Rio de Janeiro. I don't particulary like this film. With my procedures, developing in trays with HC-110, I find the contrast low and more grain that I like. To have aceptable results I also have to develop about two more minutes than the recomended time. In the subjective aspect I think the negatives don't have the same beauty as Tri-X, even when used in my medium format cameras. That is just my personal experience and I am relatively new in the Large Format realm, so I will be glad if other members of the forum could give advice on how to have better results with Ektapan.

Kodak Ektapan Question

IMHO, Ektapan is a Great film although, from what I understand it has been discontinued in 4x5. It is a beautiful fine grained film with a fabulous tonal range!

Kodak Ektapan Question

Scott, I guess we'll have to wait for the new catalog to come out, but this sheet I have says that they just did away with the 70mm and 3.5 inch long roll sizes of ektapan. According to "Current films at a Glance" (Aug. 2001), Ektapan is still available in 4x5 and 5x7 in the 100 sheet boxes. 8x10 is 50 sheets. This isn't an inclusive list either, so I'd say to check with EK on the availablity.

Kodak Ektapan Question

Thanks DK for starting my heart again!

David Vickery

Kodak Ektapan Question

Hello, I have used Ektapan in the 4x5 size (for landscapes only) and am eager to try it in the 8x10 and 11x14 sizes but have not been able to yet. It is a beautiful, sharp film that handles high contrast outdoor scenes well. I love it. I would recommend that you use one of the pyro developers with it.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery