Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timer Problems and issues!!

Florida Keys

Timer Problems and issues!!

Hello all.
    Little help plz.
    I have been tray proccesing 4x5 and am using a cheap kitchen timer for countdown.
    I can not find a audible (every minute, or second) countdown timer on the net or thru regular channels.
    Too scared to use a simple gralab for fear of fogging. I want it totally black.
    Mine just goes off after 5 min and at the end.
    Can someone recommend something plz
    Joey

W K Longcor

Re: Timer Problems and issues!!

I used Gralab timers with luminous dials in my darkrooms for well over 40 years. I NEVER had a problem with fogging of any sort. If you are still worried --- set the timer to one side and make a simple cardboard shield between the timer dial and the work area -- you can still just move slightly to one side to see the time and not have any worries of the film seeing the dial.

Florida Keys

Ok, was kinda thinking that.
    I have been out of the darkroom game for 10 years, and getting my hands wet again.
    Thx

Gralab should be fine -- I just have mine off to the side, as W.K. mentioned.

If you're looking for a quick and cheap method, here are a couple:

1. Have spouse in darkroom with you, watching a wristwatch cupped in her hands and calling out info to you. I've done that before... it's nice!

2. Tape a small Agfa loupe to the face of a wristwatch, and cover the clear area of the loupe with electrical tape. You can monitor the time by peering through the loupe's "peephole."

And finally -- Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee, friends to all on this forum, will tell you not to bother with all that fancy "timing" jazz, and just develop by inspection!
    Last edited by William McEwen; 4-Aug-2009 at 10:00. Reason: fix typo

Octogenarian

No risk of fogging film with the GraLab 300 unless you actually touch the film to the luminescent face of the timer.

I cover my GraLab 300 timer with a towel. Then, once the film is in the tray of developer, I remove the towel and start the timing sequence. Been using that technique for more than thirty years.

Have never fogged a sheet of film from the glow of the luminescent face of the GraLab.

Florida Keys

Thanks guys.
    How about the distance --- no less than how many feet?

Octogenarian

Just be sure not to touch un-developed film directly to the face off the timer. The glow from the luminescent face of the timer will not fog film unless you hold the film directly against the glowing surface. I have tested it with 400 speed film.

I used to put my Gralab at about eye level, somewhere around the middle of the line of trays. That's about 2ft. or more from the developer tray. No problems at all with fogging. You can also face it away from the dev. tray, or at the end of the line as long as you can see it clearly.

You can set the time just for the developer step and then reset for Fixer or just set a longer time and watch the timer.

Eric Woodbury

Is there a timer that counts up and resets with a footswitch that doesn't cost $400? I don't mind Gralabs, but don't really like handling them with wet hands and on rare occasions I wonder how long the timer has been at zero. Counting up makes more sense to me.

I have an old LED alarm clock that I rewired that does all this, but the newer clocks don't allow this as far as I know.

Thanks
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

W K Longcor

[QUOTE=Eric Woodbury;493626] I don't mind Gralabs, but don't really like handling them with wet hands and on rare occasions I wonder how long the timer has been at zero. QUOTE]

While I'm not going to go on record as suggesting that anybody touch any electrical item with wet hands -- I've gotta admit that my old Gralabs are encrusted with chemical deposits from my wet hands and I never, ever felt so much as a tingle. Also, as far as wondering how long the timer has been on zero --- mine had a buzzer that when it went off in the dark -- an unsuspecting person could loose control of certain bodily functions!!!