Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graf Variable

Bruce Hemingway

Graf Variable

I recently acquired an 8-1/2" Graf Variable, which I've mounted on both my D3 and my 4x5. Here are a couple of images, one at the sharp setting and one soft.

More in my soft focus gallery...

Re: Graf Variable

Congratulations on your acquisition. The Grafs are, I think, worth the trouble it takes to find out how to get the best use out of any soft focus lens.

I have two Graf Variables. One for 4x5, one for 8x10 bought long before the prices went crazy. My favourite lenses.

According to a 1920's Burke and James catalog, the 8x10 lens went for nearly $300. Spending $300 for a lens now would be a major buying decision. Imagine what it was in the '20's!

-30-

I note in the "camera eccentric" B&J/Graf Optical Co. catalogue that there is a series A and B. The series B appears to be a bit smaller/lighter without the f3.8 capabilities of the series A. I have recently acquired a pre-patent date (patent pending) F3.8 16/18" which must be a series A type. Now the coverage is given as 8x10 - but I have seen other comments that the 14" also covers 8x10? Is this a difference of just covering the diagonal/extreme movements? Mine has, perhaps, the earliest case of Schneideritis (1923?) - flaking internal black enamel - so it was an american sickness before it spread to Germany. As an internal operation is necessary it would be nice to know what to expect internally? My guess is an Tessar copy?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    As an internal operation is necessary it would be nice to know what to expect internally? My guess is an Tessar copy?
    Could be a Tessar, as the Velostigmats with the moving element were Tessars, but they moved the front element. But the Portrait Unar had an internal moving element, and it was the predecessor to the Tessar and somewhat related in design. Moving internal elements were also used in (just off the top of my head) the Cooke portrait lenses (triplets), Dallmeyers (Petzvals), and in the Heliar design with the Universal Heliar. Anyone know of any other designs that moved internal elements to achieve soft-focus?

(BTW, I have a couple of adjustable-diffused-focus Velostigmats and an 18" Portrait Unar, and none get very soft using the adjustment.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

On the Graf Variable it is the front lens which turns through 360 degrees. I have done a quick check - rear cell off - and it looks very like a Tessar. Fortunately, it is the rear cell which has almost all of the enamel specks!

wfwhitaker

I had a dream... All lenses were Tessars. There were no other designs. Everything was a Tessar or a Tessar derivative. It had been mathematically proven that other lens types could not possibly exist. Any lens, no matter the name, was a Tessar. It was like Tessar hell...

loujon

Hi Folk's
    1st things 1st. Hey Man ! Nothing wrong w/ Tessar's .Nothing... I really dig my 16" 1c .WAY underrated.
    I bet if they had put a moving front element on the longer 1c's we would buy them up as well.

I just wanted add my personal experience w/ the Graf Variable. I have the 18-20.5 series A. Really a different look than the sharp/ soft Cooks / Vellos /Vitax/ Dalameyer series A,B ( the lenses of this type that I own & use) so this is what I make the comparison to. ...
    The Graf has tons more element displacement & that may be why it's got so much personality.Also quit beautiful shot wide open @ 3.8.set to #1(no diffussion) ..The lens is just stunning. set between 3&5 it's beautiful. She may be one of my favorite lenses & fits the 8A like a glove

Peace
    Louis P.

The 16/18 Graf was bought to fit on a 8x10 Sinar Norma. There won't be a lot of metal left when the 4 5/8" hole is cut so I will arrange an extra support down to the rail. Fortunately there isn't the same turning moment as with long barrel lenses (petzval/RR) - even though it is well over 2 kilos. I will try and use the sinar copal shutter even though this will mean some reduction in the widest aperture available. Does anyone have alternative experience with shuttering these large diameter fast lenses? Obviously, a Packard front mounted will keep the max F but will not give fast enough speeds, except using flash?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Does anyone have alternative experience with shuttering these large diameter fast lenses? Obviously, a Packard front mounted will keep the max F but will not give fast enough speeds, except using flash?
    My prefered method is a Packard shutter and neutral density filters. Slow film can sometimes help.

I'm not sure how a flash helps, unless you're in a dark studio area...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."