Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Zeiss 250mm f/5.6 Sonnar in Prontor shutter for Linhof

Question Carl Zeiss 250mm f/5.6 Sonnar in Prontor shutter for Linhof

A very generous friend just passed on to me a mint condition Carl Zeiss 250mm f/5.6 Sonnar. Looks like a fine lens with no element separation but does anyone here have recent experience with one?

And can anyone tell me the most likely vintage?

it is mostly black with a silver chrome ring around the front end of the lens. Serial number is 2767###

Thanks,

Ellis

Re: Carl Zeiss 250mm f/5.6 Sonnar in Prontor shutter for Linhof

I used to own 250 Sonnar but that was a Zeiss for Hasselblad...is that the one you are talking about?

--Darin

Octogenarian

Hey Ellis,

It's been over three years since you posted on this forum.

How the heck are you? What have you been up to?

Can't help with your question, but good to hear from you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I used to own 250 Sonnar but that was a Zeiss for Hasselblad...is that the one you are talking about?

--Darin
    No. I know that lens but this one is a large format lens.

gem:

Photographically engaged in (in the order of time spent): Writing, shooting and reading.

Octogenarian

Hope you hang around here or a while, Ellis. We can use your expertise.

This lens was part of the classic Zeiss trio designed for the 4x5 Linhof Technika - the 75 mm Biogon, 135 mm Planar, and 250 mm Sonnar. In the 1960's and 70's this was the ultimate set of lenses for one of the world's ultimate 4x5 cameras - the Linhof Technika.

The 75 and 135 are legendary lenses, designed to perform well wide open, but I am not sure about the 250 Sonnar or how it compares to a modern telephoto design like the Schneider 250 mm Apo-tele-Xenar. Given its pedigree, I am sure that it will not let you down.

Enjoy the results!

According to the 4th edition of 'Linhof Practice' (Munich 1963), in the description of 'The Zeiss Lens Set for the Super Technika IV' (page 99), the general features in common to all 3 lenses (75 Biogon, 135 Planar, 250 Sonnar) include: "They are fully corrected at full aperture. Definition is sharp to the corners, with acurate rendering of all horizontal and vertical detail".

Looks like the 250 Sonnar can also be used at larger apertures (or wide open) with good results.

The current production Schneider 250 apo-tele-xenar is a wonderful portrait lens for 4x5 and performs very well at f/11. I will try it even wider...

I haven't shot with it yet but I am pretty sure this is not a telephoto design. it might be as it is a big heavy combination of steel and glass. It certainly got the attention of the TSA when I was flying home yesterday.

Hi Ellis,

In a slightly more recent publication, 'Large Format Photography', Grossbild-Technik GMBH, Munich 1973, on pg. 124 'The Zeiss Set of Lenses for the 4x5 in Technika' are described as follows:

"For maximum performance in the 4x5 in./9x12 cm format three lenses have been computed which taken together form a complete set and which were designed according to the most modern principles. The common characteristics of all three lenses are: Complete optical correction, sharpness right into the corners, freedom from distortion, optimum clour correction - all at full aperture".

The 3 lenses are pictured on pg. 125, and all share a similar silver ring at the end of their black casings.

There is also a more detailed description of the 250 mm Sonnar f/5.6:

"This lens is completely free from the edge distotion common to many telephoto lenses, special attention having been given to this point. Notwithstanding this, it has still been possible to keep the extension short as with other telephoto lenses. The Sonnar thus offers particularly valuable advantages: the camera extension remains conveniently short and the camera can easily be used without a tripod, whilst yet giving an image of adequate size from a relatively distant viewpoint".

Good to have you back on the Forum, your intelligent contributions have been missed!