Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Think of ditching the L glass

Re: Think of ditching the L glass

I think this is what y'all are looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

;>)

Just another update for all those people who think I'm being misleading or outlandish when I suggest that you can get into LF VERY cheap... $200 for a 4x5 monorail in great condition, with lens, filmholders, polaroid holders and case.

Hate to drag up an old argument but I bought my 4x5 with a 150mm lens and 3 holders, and a big giant metal case for about $190 (Actually in yen but nobody here's in Japan but me I guess)

I saw another camera of the same type in worse but totally usable condition for about $90. Didn't come with a case though.

I had the tripod and other equipment already, I used to own a D2X. I sold it for a number of reasons.

#1) Digital equipment is undeniably more expensive to purchase outright and it depreciates from the second you buy it. In the case of Nikon they seem to be abandoning the DX sensor format for the professional line which has really screwed up the resale value for anyone that bought into DX lenses. Canon did something like this, but much worse, by changing their main lens mounts, a decade ago and lost a lot of customers for it.

#2) Digital just begs for the photographer to spray and pray. Some people can resist the urge but most can not. I didn't take that many photos but still found that most of my photos were erased. Not many keepers.

#3) Digital camera dynamic range sucks. I'm not even going to hear any arguments about this. It freaking sucks alright? The only consumer digital camera with half decent DR is the Fuji Pro series of cameras with their special sensors. I really struggled with DR in Tokyo with my D2X because the sky here is often a hazy gray from all the pollution and humidity. Not that transparency film is much better but negative film sure as hell is, and black and white just can't be beat.

#4) Getting into digital hauls many people into a pattern of gear acquisition every 2 years when a new model comes out.

Here's what I got for $190

Speed Graphic 4x5 for LF, DIY wet / dry plate getup for ultra LF, Rolleiflex for MF, a bunch of others for 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post
    Hate to drag up an old argument but I bought my 4x5 with a 150mm lens and 3 holders, and a big giant metal case for about $190 (Actually in yen but nobody here's in Japan but me I guess)

I saw another camera of the same type in worse but totally usable condition for about $90. Didn't come with a case though.

I had the tripod and other equipment already, I used to own a D2X. I sold it for a number of reasons.

#1) Digital equipment is undeniably more expensive to purchase outright and it depreciates from the second you buy it. In the case of Nikon they seem to be abandoning the DX sensor format for the professional line which has really screwed up the resale value for anyone that bought into DX lenses. Canon did something like this, but much worse, by changing their main lens mounts, a decade ago and lost a lot of customers for it.

#2) Digital just begs for the photographer to spray and pray. Some people can resist the urge but most can not. I didn't take that many photos but still found that most of my photos were erased. Not many keepers.

#3) Digital camera dynamic range sucks. I'm not even going to hear any arguments about this. It freaking sucks alright? The only consumer digital camera with half decent DR is the Fuji Pro series of cameras with their special sensors. I really struggled with DR in Tokyo with my D2X because the sky here is often a hazy gray from all the pollution and humidity. Not that transparency film is much better but negative film sure as hell is, and black and white just can't be beat.

#4) Getting into digital hauls many people into a pattern of gear acquisition every 2 years when a new model comes out.

Here's what I got for $190

#1) the total cost of ownership will vary for each photographer. It isn't possible to make a blanket statement about the economics of owning LF or digital gear.

#2) This really boils down to how disciplined each photographer is. If you absolutely need LF gear to slow you down, then by all means do that. Other people find that they spend the same time per frame regardless of what kind of gear they have in the bag.

3) I will argue this in the sense that it is relative. If you should negative film, then digital DR will be a limitation. If you shoot transparency film, the then the typical 7 to 8 stops of DR that digital provides will feel like a luxury.

#4) Again this depends on the photographer (see #1 &2).

It sounds like your purchase was a great one for your personal situation, so congratulations on that. It's always a good thing when we can acquire the right gear for ourselves at a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post
    Hate to drag up an old argument
    So if you hate to drag it up why do it? This sort of post is inflammatory and devisive not to mention that it has been revisited ad nauseum.

Donald Miller

I thought this was a large format site...

And a moderator in the middle, too! Ouch!

Just grumpy today...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com