Thread: how much

how much

I am trying to get my first LF I found this set up on ebay how much should I go
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

Re: how much

please tell me if this is a reasonable set up to get I know there is alot of stuff thanx big time

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    please tell me if this is a reasonable set up to get I know there is alot of stuff thanx big time
    What are you planning on using a camera for? Monorail cameras are better adapted to studio photography and field cameras are better for location work (landscapes etc).

The Sinar F is the entry level Sinar camera. I owned one at one time and it was adequate for my uses at the time. I eventually opted for a field camera. Sofar as what this is worth...it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you assigned a value of $200 to the camera that would leave 1325 at the current price to cover the five lenses. That seems reasonable to me...but then I bought this stuff when it sold for real money. I have paid more for one lens many, many times.

Good luck,
    Donald Miller

Octogenarian

My friend purchased the identical outfit. It came packaged in a large Calumet case.

I examined it before he bought it, and everything appeared to be in excellent condition

The seller had been listing it on Craig's list for quite a while. No serious interest there.

He was happy to accept my friend's offer for $850.

My friend has sold off the pieces that he didn't want to use, and now has a very nice Sinar outfit, with three lenses. Net cost- under $500.

"Value" is hard to ascertain these days. I think it is a fair price for such a complete outfit with several lenses. However, it is a monorail which is difficult to use in the field. I know a number of people advocate for Sinars in the field, but unless you like being a pack mule, there are better alternatives. For the same price, you could buy a new field camera and a couple of lenses only, so the kit you referenced is a fair deal for getting started. Odds are you will eventually deconstruct the kit anyway once you find your way. I would not pay much more than the current price though and the auction is not over.

The focal lengths are too closely spaced. 90-150-240 is a good kit. You could always sell the others two for at least $400.

I would not pay more than $1800 for the lot.

thank you all for your in put I am at the limit of the auction so we will see. If someone bids more I will need help buying a new one as suggested here. I think that the field will be the way to go 8 hrs more and we will know

Check out KEH for prices. They will be a bit more than Ebay but their quality, service and return policy more than make up for that.

The for-sale section here often has good deals.

If you're 8 hours away you're almost certainly not seeing the highest bid. On ebay the real action doesn't start until the last 4-5 seconds, when the sniper bids come in.

IMHO it's impossible to even guess at a fair price because the seller doesn't provide enough detail about the lenses. He or she says they're Schneiders or Rodenstocks but doesn't say what model or version. A Schneider or Rodenstock lens in these focal lengths could range from about $250 to well over $1,000 or more depending on the model. If you're seriously interested, you should ask the seller for more detail about the lenses before bidding.

There's a reason the camera has been used exclusively in the studio - it's heavy and cumbersome to use anywhere else. Which is fine if you plan to use it in the studio, not so fine if you're interested primarily in outdoor photography.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

LOL!!!

close to ROFLMAO.

Too funny. Thanks guys.