Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 4x5 camera for long lenses?

What 4x5 camera for long lenses?

What 4x5'' camera do you reccomend for lenses in (210)-300-450 range? I would shoot on medium distances (trees), with non-telephoto lenses, like Fujinon-C or Nikkor-M. The camera should be fine for backpacking.

I was thinking about Chamonix, but don't know how is with rigidity with 450 mm lens? As I read, a special adaptor must be used for 450 mm.

Or is the only suitable solution a monorail camera like Arca-Swiss? I had Sinar F2, but didn't like it, I found it too clumsy and heavy to backpack.

What do you think?

Re: What 4x5 camera for long lenses?

With a 450mm lens, your going to want well over half a meter of possible extension for even moderately close subjects. I'd think that is going to limit camera choices severely. A standard Chamonix has only 395mm of bellows, so clearly would require an adapter to even get it to infinity focus.

Vanannan

Hi
    I use a Canham DLC which is extremely versitile and light weight.
    Good luck

Dave Karp

I use a 450mm with My Walker Titan SF. You have to use a combination of back axis tilt and front base tilt to accomplish this. The Titan SF is a very rigid camera, and the Fuji 450 C is a light lens, so I have not had any problems with stability doing this.

Other triple extension field cameras will allow you to go up to 450mm, such as Ebony, Wisner, Zone VI Ultralight, other non-Wista or non-Tachihara Zone VI varieties, Lotus, as will a lightweight monorail camera such as the ARCA-Swiss F-Line.

Octogenarian

The Canham DLC45 has a maximum bellows extension of 521mm.

It is relatively compact and light weight and folds into a fitted soft case for transporting.

When I owned one, I often used a Fuji 450C lens. No problem.

A telephoto formula lens would add several more cameras to the list. And several more ounces to your backpack.

Do not trust my memoery, do your homework, but I think that the Fujinon 400T infinity focus is in the 250mm range. folks who have used the lens will know for sure.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Simple answer is a 5x7 with a 4x5 back.

Or a 5x7 camera and forget the 4x5 back.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

If you intend to backpack, the Canham DLC will be a nice fit, since it's a metal camera and therefore less prone to damage (ground glass aside).

Among the wooden field cameras, if you can find one, a (used) 4x5 Wisner Technical Field nicely accommodates a 450mm lens at closer than infinity, and folds up as small as other wooden field cameras, give or take. So does one of the Ebony cameras too, but Ebony cameras are in another price range, and rarely appear on the used market. People who get them, tend to keep them.

Shooting 5x7 film, requires lenses that are roughly 133% the length of lenses for 4x5. So to get the equivalent reach of a 450, you need a 600mm lens, etc. And if you're backpacking where weight and size are important, it's the extra size and weight of each film holder, not just the camera, to consider. The image quality is 35/20 times greater, but so is the weight.

The biggest advantage of non-tele designs is their wide coverage. A typical 450mm lens can be used on 11x14 cameras, but a Fujinon 400T or Nikon 360T will provide only modest movements on 4x5.

If you don't need a lot of coverage or view camera movements, then you can use one of those teles on a mainstream field camera, like a Tachihara, Shen Hao, Chamonix, etc.

The "C" lenses are small, and take small filters - but they are not telephoto lenses: they require a normal bellows draw. They are generally modified Tessar designs, with fewer internal elements, a smaller maximum opening. So they are compact.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 22-Jul-2009 at 14:12.

You remind me that I've kept a couple of plastic bits from a 40" Roll of Multigrade paper, the paper core sat on them in the box, but they will make ideal lens extension cones for my Wista

Ian