Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for LF virgin - 58mm Schneider XL on Cambo Wide

Help for LF virgin - 58mm Schneider XL on Cambo Wide

Hi,

I have enjoyed this forum for a while, lurking about and looking at pictures for over a year. A very kind member of this forum through many emails over the last year has helped me to choose the right camera to start me off, and I now have it - a Cambo wide 580 purchased from another forum member.

I have not yet shot a single sheet, but I do have a couple of questions I was hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1. Can I use the 58mm XL wide open? I want to use if for environmental full-figure portraits, and f5.6 would be nice... I don't mind vignetting or soft corners but would hope that the middle is sharp.

2. Can I use 4cm filters, like GNDs on the lens? Is there a Lee/Cokin adapter I can get for it?

3. Is there a viewfinder I can get for it to mount on the hot shoe? The only one I can find is the Gaoersi one - is this one any good or is there another, better choice?

4. I have a custom-made dark cloth made by the previous owner that fits around the camera, is it possible to get a shade or viewer for the camera? I would like to be able to compose/focus on the ground glass but not have to cut myself off entirely from the world around me - I believe this would be useful for city work where I might get robbed (I live in East London).

If anyone can help me with any or all of these questions I would be very grateful. I hope to have some images to post soon.

Thanks a lot,

Simon

Re: Help for LF virgin - 58mm Schneider XL on Cambo Wide

1. Try it; it should be okay wide open!

2. Try a wide angle adapter (67mm I recall) from Lee and a regular Lee Holder;

3. There was a viewfinder available but they are difficult if not impossible to find seperate from the camera - keep an eye on Ebay.

4. Cambo made a number of viewfinders for their 5x4 cameras which will fit the Cambo Wide. There are straight and 45 degree finders - again check Ebay and places like Ffordes.

Like this?

SF Bay Area 94303

Do not read another posting on this web site until you have gone and shot and developed 50 sheets of film. You cannot learn by reading us pontificate. Yes you can, go DO IT. You have to learn all 50 ways to screw up by doing it. Then you have to ask yourself, why am I doing this? After 40 years I am not sure I know the answer, I just keep doing it. I just know that that shell some guy by the name of Weston took a picture of was pretty neat. (Your really have to see a real print)

KFry

Paul O - Thanks very much indeed for the information - very useful.

Kirk, er thanks. But I prefer to get well informed. 50 sheets would cost me a lot of money.

If you are going to do extreme camera movements look out for vignetting this is where the round end of the lens does not project the image onto the film and on your negative you will see a round arc with no image. If the ground glass is not square and has a diagonal cut into each corner you can look through the glass to see the lens. With the aperture open so light is coming into the camera body if you can see light in the lens from all four diagonals there is no vignetting. If not make adjustments
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Simon, first I want to welcome you in the LF crowd.

But I have to say: sorry, but Kirk is right. There is no better way of learning than with your own mistakes. You will make them. But then, if you make your fine technically perfect, aesthetically pleasing negative (or print), the satisfaction is even more intense.

There is a limit to how much you can learn from what is written (anywhere). A guitar player has to practice too, he will not learn by reading the tabulature, not even by only listening.

And that it will cost you something? If you don't want to spend the money, then sorry, but leave the LF field (no offense meant). Because LF photography is not cheap per se. Even if you read all the information in the world, you will make mistakes. Even if you care to minimize all the known ones, you will inadvertently make your personal new ones. So you will lose some money. If you are not able to say, so what, it's worth the results, then LF is not for you.

(The 58 XL is not exactly a cheap lens, neither is the Cambo Wide. If you mind the money so much, my advice would be to buy a cheaper camera, cheaper lens and use the savings on film.

Now as you present it, it's like buying a Ferrari and then having it only in garage complaining that the fuel is expensive).

Again, no offense meant.

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by spkennedy3000 View Post

Kirk, er thanks. But I prefer to get well informed. 50 sheets would cost me a lot of money.
    har har har! maybe sell that 58mm lens and buy a few years supply of film.....

check out freestyle photographic. i buy a film called arista.edu.ultra. i love it. it is like $.50 per sheet......

what jiri said
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

OK well thanks everyone for all the advice.

I am new to LF but far from new to photography, I do not really need to be told about the need to learn from mistakes. I also play jazz guitar.

I asked some specific, technical questions about a specific lens that I have, and thankyou to Paul O for answering them.

And also to Wally Brooks.