Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting LF in San Francisco and New York

Re: Shooting LF in San Francisco and New York

one place in nyc that i haven't shot yet but really want to is atop the high line park. this park just opened. the park was built atop the old high line rail bridge that runs along the west side of manhattan (chelsea). you will be better off shooting on weekdays because they limit the number of visitors and i have heard there are lines to get on the bridge during weekends. i am waiting to take a day off from work to go on a weekday. they do allow photography and you don't need a permit according to their website. i would say it would be best to visit it as early as possible on a weekday if you want to use a tripod.

http://www.thehighline.org/news/2009...ss-information
    Last edited by Pete Roody; 20-Jul-2009 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Giovanni -

In New York City, there are restrictions on the use of a tripod on sidewalks - again, the concern is that the sidewalks are very congested. But that's as much a matter of common sense as it is regulation. If you are in a public park (Central Park, Union Square, Washington Square) and step off into the grass (provided you don't step into an areas that fenced off to protect the grass), I don't think anyone will bother you.

Louie,
    I'm afraid Giovanni didn't get it. In NYC you absolutely need (it's a law!) a city permission for use of a tripod on streets. Whenever I saw an ignorant photographer or a tourist to put his tripod on the street I stayed there to see how long it will take for him to be approached by a cop to ask the usual -"do you have a permission..?". I was always amazed to see that the guys never had the time to even finish to put the tripod there and here it went - a friendly cop with no understanding for an exeption...

you are not required to have a permit to use a tripod on nyc streets. see:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...s_QA_final.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Louie,
    I'm afraid Giovanni didn't get it. In NYC you absolutely need (it's a law!) a city permission for use of a tripod on streets. Whenever I saw an ignorant photographer or a tourist to put his tripod on the street I stayed there to see how long it will take for him to be approached by a cop to ask the usual -"do you have a permission..?". I was always amazed to see that the guys never had the time to even finish to put the tripod there and here it went - a friendly cop with no understanding for an exeption...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    you are not required to have a permit to use a tripod on nyc streets. see:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...s_QA_final.pdf
    New rules, thanks Pete! I knew it was discussed some time ago. Unfortunately, it's not as free as you say. You need the permit if you obstruct at least a part of 8 feet of a free sidewalk area. Which is often the case in downtown NY.

If you're in San Francisco already, welcome to our foggy summer! Hope you brought a jacket. ;-) I second the recommendations of financial district on a Sunday morning, perhaps the piers, and GG Park, and also recommend the Presidio (fog can be fun/useful over there) and maybe also Fort Mason.

Also of course the wonderful nature areas we have within a short drive, like the redwoods (you might avoid Muir Woods, too crowded, and there are other places), Marin Headlands, Mt. Tam, Point Reyes, etc.

enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by brianam View Post
    If you're in San Francisco already, welcome to our foggy summer! Hope you brought a jacket. ;-) I second the recommendations of financial district on a Sunday morning

enjoy!

While I very much agree with Brian, this may not help Giovanni. Remember, he has his wife with him, and they are newlyweds, so early mornings will be a challenge - - -

Thanks again, guys.
    Pete, GPS, Brian, Louie...
    I`m in San Francisco, finally!
    Lucky me I brought a jacket: IT`S COLD!
    Since I`ve been carrying my photo backpack up and down the Yosemite Park, I`m teased by the idea of shooting mostly polaroids, here. With my 195 Land, I mean, not 4x5".
    I`d better know a little bit more of the city, to decide.
    We`ll see tomorrow.
    Anyway, as Louie says, I`m afraid "early morning" will not be an option...
    There`s my wife too, with us, after all.
    ciao!

Hi there,
    today we`ve walked a lot. San Francisco is amazing.
    I`ve decided that tomorrow evening-night (let`s say between 20:30-22) I`ll be shooting some night pictures in California St. (from the Ferry Plaza up to Mason St., where my hotel is located).
    It would impossible to bring my backpack with me everyday, but I can`t go back to Italy without taking 4-5 pictures here...
    Bye and thaks again everybody!
    Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    one place in nyc that i haven't shot yet but really want to is atop the high line park. this park just opened. the park was built atop the old high line rail bridge that runs along the west side of manhattan (chelsea). you will be better off shooting on weekdays because they limit the number of visitors and i have heard there are lines to get on the bridge during weekends. i am waiting to take a day off from work to go on a weekday. they do allow photography and you don't need a permit according to their website. i would say it would be best to visit it as early as possible on a weekday if you want to use a tripod.

http://www.thehighline.org/news/2009...ss-information
    I have recently shot in the High Line Park. I was there on a Sunday about 7 pm and it was very crowded. Nonetheless, I was able to use a tripod without any problems. I just set it up off to the side of the pathway. I would say that the views off the elevated railway are quite limited with buildings in the way pretty mcuh everywhere. So one has to be creative if urban landscapes are the goal. In any event, one can combine it with a trip to Greenwich Village which offers countless photographic subjects. I usually go early on a weekend morning and pretty much have the place to myself - no problem setting up a tripod anywhere. Enjoy your wedding trip!