Page 383 of 383 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383
Results 3,821 to 3,828 of 3828

Thread: post alternative techniques

  1. #3821

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    128

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Clematis Argyrotype

    Always a delight when these turn out.



    Original exposure details:
    25th April 2020 3:15pm
    Chamonix 810V
    Nikkor-W 300 f/5.6
    @ilfordphoto FP4+ 8x10
    760mm bellows extension, with extension board
    (Working distance 550mm)
    1min 20 seconds f/16

    Stearman SP810 tray, Pyrocat HD 2:2:100, 12, 21C
    Acetic acid stop, TF-4 Fix, Hypoclear, wash, Ilfotol rinse


    Print:
    31st May 2020, mid-afternoon
    28C, relative humidity 45%
    3ml Fotospeed Argyrotype sensitizer + 1 drop of let-down Tween 20, Bergger Cot320 11x14" paper.
    Paper dried for approx 30 mins before exposure.
    8'15" in full sun, Lotus 12x16" frame
    5mins wash in 1.5l distilled water + squeeze lemon juice
    5mins wash in 1.5l tap water
    3mins wash in 2% hypo (4.5tbps to 1.5l tap water)
    1 hour final soak (30mins face down, 30mins face up) in 3l tap water. Dried on clothes rack for a few hours, then dried for 2 days under boards (usually a week, but unseasonably hot weather!)

    My eagerness to get working has tended to get the better of me: sometimes I expose the paper too soon and too much of the print washes off. Now I know that about 30mins in warm conditions is enough time to make a good print.
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

  2. #3822
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,971

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Wow

    Nice print!

    Fantastic documentation

    One question

    How did you digitize?
    sin eater

  3. #3823

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    128

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Thanks!
    Apologies: Nikon D800E and 85PC-E tilt-shift, tripod. 2-frame stitch. Print just lying on large photobook on floor (dried flat quickly in this warm weather we're having).
    For printing, basically following Christopher James' instructions. UK Fotospeed sensitizer comes in handy 50ml bottles, though larger sizes are also available.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Wow

    Nice print!

    Fantastic documentation

    One question

    How did you digitize?
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

  4. #3824
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,971

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Thank you!

    I knew you didn't use a cell phone!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Thanks!
    Apologies: Nikon D800E and 85PC-E tilt-shift, tripod. 2-frame stitch. Print just lying on large photobook on floor (dried flat quickly in this warm weather we're having).
    For printing, basically following Christopher James' instructions. UK Fotospeed sensitizer comes in handy 50ml bottles, though larger sizes are also available.
    sin eater

  5. #3825
    David Schaller
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Williamstown, MA
    Posts
    656

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Clematis Argyrotype

    Always a delight when these turn out.




    Original exposure details:
    25th April 2020 3:15pm
    Chamonix 810V
    Nikkor-W 300 f/5.6
    @ilfordphoto FP4+ 8x10
    760mm bellows extension, with extension board
    (Working distance 550mm)
    1min 20 seconds f/16

    Stearman SP810 tray, Pyrocat HD 2:2:100, 12’, 21C
    Acetic acid stop, TF-4 Fix, Hypoclear, wash, Ilfotol rinse


    Print:
    31st May 2020, mid-afternoon
    28C, relative humidity 45%
    3ml Fotospeed Argyrotype sensitizer + 1 drop of let-down Tween 20, Bergger Cot320 11x14" paper.
    Paper dried for approx 30 mins before exposure.
    8'15" in full sun, Lotus 12x16" frame
    5mins wash in 1.5l distilled water + squeeze lemon juice
    5mins wash in 1.5l tap water
    3mins wash in 2% hypo (4.5tbps to 1.5l tap water)
    1 hour final soak (30mins face down, 30mins face up) in 3l tap water. Dried on clothes rack for a few hours, then dried for 2 days under boards (usually a week, but unseasonably hot weather!)

    My eagerness to get working has tended to get the better of me: sometimes I expose the paper too soon and too much of the print washes off. Now I know that about 30mins in warm conditions is enough time to make a good print.
    Let me add my thanks! You've piqued my interest in this process. I guess here in the US, we would have to mix our own sensitizer. I'd be interested to know if anyone has done so.

  6. #3826

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    128

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Many thanks. I don't recall the details, but the premixed sensitizer has a good shelf life. Certainly better iirc than 2-part old cyanotype (the only other alt process I've yet tried).

    Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Let me add my thanks! You've piqued my interest in this process. I guess here in the US, we would have to mix our own sensitizer. I'd be interested to know if anyone has done so.
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

  7. #3827
    David Schaller
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Williamstown, MA
    Posts
    656

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Thanks Dave. That’s good to know. I just have to look into sourcing the chemicals.
    I should have also said: great image!

  8. #3828

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    128

    Re: post alternative techniques

    Many thanks. Definitely one to put in a frame!

    I was going to do some more today, but it's raining; shouldn't have said anything about the weather! I have a UV lamp for indoors but the exposure times for it are frustratingly lengthy, and I don't like to use too much equipment for these in any case. The wow of the simplicity!
    I'm still learning, and it can be hit and miss with choice of negatives. Since I have a minimalist setup I enjoy the experimentation, and am also now recognising how more accurate I need to be in my film development for this process than simply for scanning.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Thanks Dave. That’s good to know. I just have to look into sourcing the chemicals.
    I should have also said: great image!
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend a book on Alternative Processes
    By Anupam in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2010, 19:17
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2009, 02:58
  3. Depth of Field, Depth of Focus, and Film Flatness
    By steve simmons in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 7-Jan-2006, 19:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •