Page 399 of 403 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 4030

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by MCohn View Post
    Lovely image! I'm curious how you like working with the Bergger COT 160. I've been looking for something lighter weight, and the price sure is right.
    It takes emulsion well and processes fine, just need to be a little more careful not to crease. Like all papers you have to work with it to get what you want.
    Paul

Love it!

and it looks like some places I know

Quote Originally Posted by vnukov_pk View Post
    Dunino, 2022 by Pavel Vnukov, on Flickr
    Vandyke brown on Russian aquarelle paper. Negative 13*18 Tasma fn64
    Tin Can

Thank you. Here is some more from the same river bank
    Dunino, 2022 by Pavel Vnukov, on Flickr

Revisiting carbon transfer. I'm trying my hand at transferring to glass. It's easier than I thought (if there is such a thing as 'easy' in carbon transfer...)

Print from a 4x5" Fomapan 100 negative.

Two test prints (4x5 single transfer carbon), checking on the exposure and development of the Kodak Professional Copy Film (ASA 25) relative to the printing process.
    Prints scanned on an office printer/scanner. Images taken on recent backpack trips. I'm heading back up there next week!

Gowland 4x5 PocketView, 150mm/5.6 Caltar IIN
    Kodak Professional Copy Film (ASA 25)

Bridge Creek, Redwood National Park
    June 8, 2022
    Just above its joining Redwood Creek.
    f64 for 5 minutes
    Scene read 3++ to 10 (water) on my Pentax Digital Spot Meter, exposed at 6 plus 50% added for reciprosity failure.
    PyroCatHD 6:6:600, 70F for 8 minutes in a Jobo 3006 Expert Drum
    Negative a little thin in the shadows

Redwood Creek from Camp, Redwood National Park
    July 7, 2022
    Scene 7 to 14, taken at 9
    f22 @ 4 seconds
    PyroCatHD 6:6:600, 72F for 6 minutes in a Jobo 3006 Expert Drum

I do have lovely detail in that bottom right corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BridgeCr3 .jpg   RedCrFromCamp.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Any problems with cracking or peeling from the glass after some time has passed?
    Have seen Carbon prints on metal and all have eventually had problems. Seems the expansion/contraction of the metal causes problems for the Carbon/emulsion and cracking and peeling result. Too bad as the prints are excellent with a look all their own.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Any problems with cracking or peeling from the glass after some time has passed?
    Have seen Carbon prints on metal and all have eventually had problems. Seems the expansion/contraction of the metal causes problems for the Carbon/emulsion and cracking and peeling result. Too bad as the prints are excellent with a look all their own.
    I was shown carbon prints on glass at the George Eastman Museum that were quite old. Not sure about metal. Note that we were told the carbon prints that had the most issues were the ones with very high relief. Probably because the creators poured a very thick tissue and over time gravity wins out. If you want your carbon prints to really last thinner emulsion is better than thicker.

A thick subbing that will take some of the strain of the metal expanding and contracting can help preserve the carbon print longer...but temperature swings are a son-of-a-gun with metal.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Time will tell...I don't know yet. But I can see valid reasons for concern, indeed.

@Vaughn: I actually think a thin subbing and a thin carbon image would be a better idea than heavy sizing and high-relief images. The thicker the gelatin layer, the more problematic the cracking will be, is my guess. I base this also on the experience I had with fairly heavy sizing of glass (thinking it was a good idea) which was much more prone to frilling and reticulation than a light subbing & sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    PyroCatHD 6:6:600, 72F for 6 minutes in a Jobo 3006 Expert Drum

I do have lovely detail in that bottom right corner.
    The devil is in the detail.
    Great work as always.
    Paul