Lee #16 yellow/orange filter
    no movements

Stearman Press SP810, 510 Pyro
    7'05" for N-1.5 development, 21ºC
    5'30" DIY TF-2 alkaline fix, 1' Sodium sulphite hypo clear,
    10' wash, Ilfotol

Print:
    11th September 2022 / 22.5ºC / 59% RH
    10x8 contact print from Ilford FP4+ negative on 14x11 Bergger Cot320 paper, in Lotus 12x16 contact printing frame (paper inside Krystal Seal envelope to protect negative)
    3ml Fotospeed argyrotype sensitiver, 1 drop of tween20 solution (mix of 1 drop and 5 drops distilled water), applied using Daler-Rowney Skyflow Aquafine 3inch synthetic brush
    Paper dried 2hrs25mins, no prehumidification
    20mins daylight exposure, overcast, 3.20pm

1min shower rinse
    3mins fix in hypo
    1hr final soak
    Dried for 24hrs

Digitized with Nikon D800E/85PC-E, stitch of three shifted frames.
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    my Leicas.
    Excellent, thanks for elaborating--that seems rather the elegant solution, and it occurs to me that slipping in a rubylith mask might help keep things registered as well.

At any rate, those Leicas apparently came filled with Germanic pixie dust, so I imagine you're going to get some great prints.

Now that this Argyotype print is completely dry, it has darkened just a tad more: the sky detail is a bit better, though at the slight expense of slightly over-dark foreground corners. I have a note of my meter readings somewhere: clearly I still need more contrast control. I would ideally have used grads for this one but I left them at home on purpose because I was taking a one-lens reduced kit for the hour-long walk in to this location.
    I'd call this one about an 85% success.

Film Leicas, I should add! Basically I have no space for a darkroom whatsoever (do all my developing in a tiny downstairs bathroom) so make the most of what I can achieve.

A new one from me.

Green-toned 10x8 Cyanotype

Hahnemühle Platinum Rag
    Original print (old cyanotype 10% mix) left to dry 24hrs, not bleached, then toned
    Fenugreek seeds infused in 1.5l boiling distilled water, print in strained mix to taste

A further few notes on this: I think this green tone is pretty wonderful. Here I'm following guidance from Annette Golaz' new Cyanotype Toning book.
    What is apparent is that pH of the water used has as important an effect on the colour as the choice of toning material. This green tone was achieved with distilled water, so pH neutral. I had less success (so far) with a toner that needed a more alkaline water-chemistry (I had zero luck so far with attempting to raise the pH with calcium carbonate as recommended, for instance; sodium carbonate raises the pH just a bit too far or too fast to control for toning, allegedly); anyway I'll keep trying.

That is a great green! Keep it up.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    That is a great green! Keep it up.
    Thank you!

A further few notes on this: I think this green tone is pretty wonderful. Here I'm following guidance from Annette Golaz' new Cyanotype Toning book.
    What is apparent is that pH of the water used has as important an effect on the colour as the choice of toning material. This green tone was achieved with distilled water, so pH neutral. I had less success (so far) with a toner that needed a more alkaline water-chemistry (I had zero luck so far with attempting to raise the pH with calcium carbonate as recommended, for instance; sodium carbonate raises the pH just a bit too far or too fast to control for toning, allegedly); anyway I'll keep trying.
    Wow, this is amazing...and lovely.

Every time I see fenugreek seeds in my pantry, I note to myself - I must try this for cyanotype toning - I bet it would make a good toner given that it is bitter like hell - it must contain a lot of tannins/tannic acids etc. Now I know...:-) I think I better get Annette Golaz' book and see what other goodies are there to try.

Thanks for sharing specific details about your prints.

:Niranjan.

P.S. Might be easier to use borax instead of calcium carbonate, the latter being barely soluble in water. You get pH of about 9 with borax.

Quote Originally Posted by nmp View Post
    Wow, this is amazing...and lovely.

Every time I see fenugreek seeds in my pantry, I note to myself - I must try this for cyanotype toning - I bet it would make a good toner given that it is bitter like hell - it must contain a lot of tannins/tannic acids etc. Now I know...:-) I think I better get Annette Golaz' book and see what other goodies are there to try.

Thanks for sharing specific details about your prints.

:Niranjan.

P.S. Might be easier to use borax instead of calcium carbonate, the latter being barely soluble in water. You get pH of about 9 with borax.
    Thanks! On the PS, Golaz has that investigated too. Other chemistry raises the pH too far/too fast allegedly. Still have to test properly.

A 4x5 carbon print.
    Film exposed and developed 10 years ago. First printing.
    4x5 Kodak Tech Pan film (ASA 25) developed in D-76 1:1.

Island Rock, Redwood Creek, 2012
    Redwood National Park

Hanging a show of like images tomorrow! The 4x5 prints are matted and framed to 10x12...seems a nice fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IslandRk3.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China