Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 tripod head options

8x10 tripod head options

I am getting a Wehman 8x10 camera that will weigh 8-10 pounds with lens attached. I am trying to figure out the best way to attach it to a tripod.

I have an Arca Swiss Z-1 ball head. So my options are to buy an oversized plate from RRS or Feisol and use the ball head but in my trial run with a standard size head it seemed a little slight.

So I am wondering about other options. I don't want to use an 8 lb 8x10 with a 3 pound tripod and then use a 4 pound tripod head (e.g. Ries) if I can avoid it. Seems to defeat the lightweight aesthetic. I am thinking of trying the Feisol leveling base as a basic, lightweight tripod head. Has anyone tried something like that and, if so, how did it go?

What are other lightweight options? Is a quick release plate even worth it? Thanks.

Re: 8x10 tripod head options

How about one of the Gitzo low profile three-way heads, such as : http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=828

I have an earlier version. I cut out the little piece of metal at the end of the slot. To load the camera, attach the tripod screw to the camera. Slide the screw into the slot and tighten. This works really well with large field cameras. It works even better if there are two tripod mounts on the camera. Use two screws and there's no possibility of the camera spinning on the mount. That's what I do with my Kodak D2. I bet Mr. Wehman could add a second threaded hole if there aren't normally two on the camera.

Btw., I'd love to see the camera when you get it. I"ve been intrigued by it for awhile.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use this head on a surveyor's wooden tripod...

http://www.adorama.com/BG3263.html

It does not budge...

jim k

I use a Gitzo GT3541XLS and a Gitzo 1370M head for 8x10 and it works well until you start using lenses over about 19".

Lightweight + 8x10 means carbon fiber and a (relatively) large head platform. You could certainly get by with a shorter tripod for 8x10, say a Gitzo 1348 or its 3-section counterpart, or a GT3541L.

More beef means a 5-series Gitzo like a 1548 or a GT5541L and 1570M head, but you won't need it unless you're using long lenses and/or shooting in considerable wind and need the weight to stabilize the camera.

Cheers, Steve

There is a thread here called: The mother of all 3 way heads.

I use the first one, the one from Linhof for my Sinar P2 8x10 and it realy works great.
    The other option mentioned in that thread is a Manfrotto 3 way head.

And then you have the option of mounting 2 Sinar panorama heads together or have a serious look at the Manfrotto 400 geared head.
    All options are a bit expensive though.....

Peter

George Sheils

Just bought a secondhand Sinar Pan & Tilt Head to use on my Berlebach Report tripod.

What a tripod head!

Can hold mf cameras, 4x5, and even heavy 8x10 Sinar P without any creeping.

It is the best bargain I have ever got as it cost me the princely sum of £11.50 on UK eBay just a couple of weeks ago. All it was missing was a centre screw which I replaced with a cheap Hama Centre Screw with thumb ring for just €2.50.

Total cost including shipping worked out at less than £20!

Yesssss.

Pick one up if you can - they are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    Just bought a secondhand Sinar Pan & Tilt Head to use on my Berlebach Report tripod.

What a tripod head!

Can hold mf cameras, 4x5, and even heavy 8x10 Sinar P without any creeping.

It is the best bargain I have ever got as it cost me the princely sum of £11.50 on UK eBay just a couple of weeks ago. All it was missing was a centre screw which I replaced with a cheap Hama Centre Screw with thumb ring for just €2.50.

Total cost including shipping worked out at less than £20!

Yesssss.

Pick one up if you can - they are brilliant.
    George,

Good advice. I would be happy to buy your for 30 pounds so you make a nice profit!

I use a Z1sp with my Wehman and it works well. Its not perfect, but its a very good portable setup thats quite stable. Your current head is probably strong enough.

Blumine

Drew Wiley

My option - none. As I've mentioned on several threads before, I never use a head
    for 8x10. Don't need the extra weight or the weak link in the stability. Easy to get
    along without one with a little practice, and really no slower than most 8x10 setups.
    The camera sits right on top of my Ries tripod platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Blumine View Post
    I use a Z1sp with my Wehman and it works well. Its not perfect, but its a very good portable setup thats quite stable. Your current head is probably strong enough.

Blumine
    Which type of Arca plate do you use for the quick release?