Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp 75mm (no diffraction) ???

Re: Sharp 75mm (no diffraction) ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The 70mm Apo Sironar Digital covers a 125mm circle.
    Unfortunately you have the requirements of a digital lens and the budget for a used lens. In that case you will not be able to solve your problem with analog lenses.

I can't give you the Digitar image circles as we are not involved with them. But Rodenstock does make digital lenses with large enough image circles for what you need. They also make digital lenses with image circles too small for your needs. Why don't you contact a dealer and rent a couple to see what they can do? Or at least visit a dealer with a demo studio to see the performance gains?
    Bob, in all respect and in repeat, I do not need or want a digitar lens. Period. I have stated above that per what I experience traditional SHARP large format lenses works just very fine for my digital back. Then why do you insist on pointing me towards what I really do not need, want and what is $$$???? The 70mm is not 75mm which is the focal I want, nor is 125mm suffice with lens movements for my stitching, nor for 4x5! I have done suffice explaining above.

The lenses I have asked about in my original post top above cost 500-900 usd used. I am interested in which one of them is sharpest and highest resolving. Again, I much appreciate if you have any such info of how your (Rodenstock) TRADITIONAL non digitar SHARP lenses compare to Schneiders such?

My camera is a Shen-Hao TFC-45B which apparant works just fine, no need for $$$ digitar tech camera. My digitar sliding adapter is a custom design made per my design in China which was cheaper than most on market. It works per my test shooting too. Simply, I reasonably know what I am doing... but if someone is pixel peeping far ends on my really wide stitches may not like it, but with the photos I am happy camper!

Anders

"The lenses I have asked about in my original post top above cost 500-900 usd used. I am interested in which one of them is sharpest and highest resolving. Again, I much appreciate if you have any such info of how your (Rodenstock) TRADITIONAL non digitar SHARP lenses compare to Schneiders such?"

Anders, no film lens will meet the resolution, distortion, diffraction of a digital lens. Again, download Rodenstock's white papers on digital lenses and read them.

I've had decent results shooting a 75mm 4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N with my Phase digital back. You will need to do a lens cast calibration adjustment if stitching with that lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Menzin View Post
    I've had decent results shooting a 75mm 4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N with my Phase digital back. You will need to do a lens cast calibration adjustment if stitching with that lens.
    @ Larry,

Much thanks for info! You know what I speak of. Which P1? The lens cast calibration adjustment is for the widest of stitched frame, yes? Thanks!

@ Bob,

I have already stated clear: Non digitar lenses works fine. You are trying sell me something I not want or need. I do not want digitar. Please respect.

Regards
    Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    @@ Bob,

I have already stated clear: Non digitar lenses works fine. You are trying sell me something I not want or need. I do not want digitar. Please respect.
    Anders, again, I don't have any connection with Schneider Digitar lenses and would not try to sell you one. I represent Rodenstock and have suggested that you read the white papers they printed or go test at a dealer. You will not get the results you want from an analog lens. That is why digital lenses were developed in the first place.

To make it clear, Digitar is a Schneider brand name. It is not the name of the type of lens. For Rodenstock it is Apo Sironar Digital and Apo Sironar Digital HR and their new names HR Digaron S and HR Digiron W.

Schneider calls theirs Digitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Anders, again, I don't have any connection with Schneider Digitar lenses and would not try to sell you one. I represent Rodenstock and have suggested that you read the white papers they printed or go test at a dealer. You will not get the results you want from an analog lens. That is why digital lenses were developed in the first place.

To make it clear, Digitar is a Schneider brand name. It is not the name of the type of lens. For Rodenstock it is Apo Sironar Digital and Apo Sironar Digital HR and their new names HR Digaron S and HR Digiron W.

Schneider calls theirs Digitars.
    Bob,

My apology, in above I referred by "digitar" to also Rodenstock digital large format lenses. My interest is in NON digital large format 75mm lens. Contrary to your assumption of what I want from lenses, as I stated above I am happy with both my Schneider 58mm SA and Rodenstock Sironar-N 150 / 5.6 NON digitar/digital lenses. Non digitar/digital large format lenses are fine for my digital back if SHARP, but yes digitar/digital are sharper yes, but I find sharp non digitar/digital suffice, the rest is marketing hype, also the white paper that I read already the other year. What I look for is a 75mm SHARP & HIGH RESOLVING traditional 75mm lens - non digital lens.

I have made many posts to clarify this. My original post seem to ask exactly for same. If you have such info as I ask I appreciate. Allow me to again make clear: I seek no info of digitar/digital large format lenses.

As for digitar/digital lenses, personally I think both Rodenstock and Schneider should have made them 4x5 image circles and similar priced to traditional... but that is my opinion. Yet perhaps consider...

Anders

deleted, double post

Any advise of 4x5 lens for me???

Thanks

Anders,

If you are going to buy secondhand I suspect that the sample to sample variation in individual lenses (as a result of how they have been used/kept) is going to be greater than the theoretical differences between different manufacturers lenses of the same focal length/type. As a result I suspect the only realistic approach to take is to try and get hold of a number of lenses, test them, and then keep the sharpest.

As far as individal lens recommendations go have you tried a Super Symmar XL 80mm (assuming that you would be happy with 80mm v 75mm)? I've used mine with 4x5 film and with a Betterlight digital back and have been very happy with it. Mine is very, very sharp and the coverage is good, better I believe than most 75mm lenses. Just to highlight my point above, I know that others have had bad experiences with this lens indicating that again sample to sample variations can be large enough to make a noticeable difference.

David Whistance
    Last edited by dwhistance; 11-Jul-2009 at 04:37. Reason: Signature included twice!

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    Anders,

If you are going to buy secondhand I suspect that the sample to sample variation in individual lenses (as a result of how they have been used/kept) is going to be greater than the theoretical differences between different manufacturers lenses of the same focal length/type. As a result I suspect the only realistic approach to take is to try and get hold of a number of lenses, test them, and then keep the sharpest.

As far as individal lens recommendations go have you tried a Super Symmar XL 80mm (assuming that you would be happy with 80mm v 75mm)? I've used mine with 4x5 film and with a Betterlight digital back and have been very happy with it. Mine is very, very sharp and the coverage is good, better I believe than most 75mm lenses. Just to highlight my point above, I know that others have had bad experiences with this lens indicating that again sample to sample variations can be large enough to make a noticeable difference.

David Whistance
    David/Anyone,

Very interesting reply. Thanks! Which Betterlight scanning back do you use, thus so I can compare resolution of it compared to my Aptus 65?

Frank, 80mm will be about equal to 24mm and is not suffice wide for me. On other hand, I was just reading more of the "same new era" 72mm XL, which unfortunate is @520g, large and costs $$$. Or, could it be that I could go with its predecessor that is 75mm, and is that one perhaps/perhaps not just as sharp for my specific purpose? Any guess?

What about the 75 Super Angulon MC/non MC around 1970, but... for my purpose is it still as good as the "new era" ones? http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/75superangulon.htm - for 4x5 indeed good, but for my purpose??? As you say... the sample variation may be larger depending on how they been kept/used. That is a very much valid point! Yet again a stellar copy of those might be better than one that is slight less condition but of the newer, or?

Alternatively, my thought go to the Grandagon-N. Then, there is the question of what is difference between the one with and without the green stripe on lens barrel, and if makes any difference to me...

Was it Schneider or Rodenstock that developed their wide optics to newer "standards"/optimized it first, and around what time?

Above indeed many thoughts and questions, but a very kind thanks to you and all/anyone for further reply.

Anders