Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon 760 Mm Apo Lens

Post Nikon 760 Mm Apo Lens

I recently got a few barrel lenses from a very large copy camera,two are mounted ,and work in tandem as you move the lever, one is a 390mm and the other is a 760mm,I would love to make a view camera with them, no shutter of course in any,any Thoughts, the other is 490mm
    thx
    Joe
    Last edited by Think Large; 6-Jul-2009 at 01:35. Reason: typo

Re: Nikon 760 Mm Apo Lens

Those lenses are optimized for copying flat objects such as large engineering prints. They should be OK for use on a view camera if you could rig a shutter to them. The focal lengths you have would probably do best on an 8x10 camera. Anything smaller would be very telephoto. Even on an 8x10 they would be considered long. Hope this helps.

I have the 760 mm Apo Nikkor, mounted on an Ilex #5 by S.K. Grimes. Wonderful lens on 8X10. I took a picture of a large tree with it, and can see the veins on the leaves with a microscope on the tranny. I don't have any trouble focussing, even though the lens is f/11 wide open.

Drew Wiley

Thanks James - I've got one of these lenses too and have wondered about getting
    SK Grimes to put a shutter on it. I work in Berkeley, so maybe someday can see
    what this setup looks like. But its low priority for now, since I already have a 600C
    Fujinon as a long focal length for my 8x10.

Hi Joe,
    There are several threads for home-built, self-built, DIY cameras on this site, though they can be hard to search for--just troll through the Cameras section.

Here's mine:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47057

That's a 610mm Nikkor on the front. I also have the 760mm Nikkor. Right now, they share the same lens board. I have a Packard shutter mounted behind the lens. When I want to change the lenses, I just unscrew the barrell from the mounting plate and screw in the other one.

A "normal" lens for 8x10 is 300mm. The 610mm is a "long" lens for 11x14. Normal and long depend on how you see and on subject--I sometimes use the 610 for 4x5....

Best of luck with your project--definitely encourage you to try to build your own and use these lenses--they are great taking lenses.
    Michael

Do you really need a shutter for such a long lens?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Do you really need a shutter for such a long lens?
    I shoot my 600 mm apo-ronar on 8x10, sans shutter. Lens cap off, count the seconds on my watch, lens cap on. Works good.

I've bought myself a used packard shutter large enough to mount behind the lens, but so far, I just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's just as easy without?

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Joe, Peter, I shoot my long process lenses -- the longest currently set up is a 480/9 Apo Nikkor but just wait, there's a 610/9 AN in the closet -- hung in front of a #1 shutter way out in front of a 2x3 Speed Graphic. I use ISO 100 film, sometimes shoot in bright light, and often use shutter speeds too short to be obtained with the proverbial hat or lens cap.

To get the most out of a slow lens -- Peter, focal length has nothing to do with it, maximum aperture is what matters -- it has to be in or in front of a shutter. Using one without a shutter is certainly possible, but I can't believe that this is the best way to get good exposure.

Thinking of slow lenses, Joe have you ever done anything that that 305/9 Apo Nikkor you bought from me?

Cheers,

Dan

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thinking of slow lenses, Joe have you ever done anything that that 305/9 Apo Nikkor you bought from me?
    Dan
    -snip-

Sniff, sniff. Nope, not yet. Sits here, look pretty, but I haven't had the chance. I was going to go hog wild this year with my new 8x10. I have the 305/9 mounted, just to see the coverages - yes, I do NOT expect it to cover 8x10, but I don't care, I was going to have some fun anyhow.

Then came along the hernia, the *big* hernia. Now that I am nicely over that and the surgery, now i have the "summer that isn't summer" so to speak.

Just checked our local WX forecast for the next 7 days. Out of those 7 days, just one day is predicted to be sunny, rain all the rest. The past weekend was all rain too, very heavy at times.

So, shooting for me, LF or digital is a real wash this year so far. Bummer

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Joseph,

Swap the hernia out and replace it with any one of a list of issues, (family, work etc) and I so relate to that post!

Only the ducks and the water Lilly are happy this summer!!

Last night I ran out during the break in the monsoon to shoot a few rolls of 6x4.5, just to say I have shot something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    -snip-

Sniff, sniff. Nope, not yet. Sits here, look pretty, but I haven't had the chance. I was going to go hog wild this year with my new 8x10. I have the 305/9 mounted, just to see the coverages - yes, I do NOT expect it to cover 8x10, but I don't care, I was going to have some fun anyhow.

Then came along the hernia, the *big* hernia. Now that I am nicely over that and the surgery, now i have the "summer that isn't summer" so to speak.

Just checked our local WX forecast for the next 7 days. Out of those 7 days, just one day is predicted to be sunny, rain all the rest. The past weekend was all rain too, very heavy at times.

So, shooting for me, LF or digital is a real wash this year so far. Bummer

joe