Thread: Grafmatic back and not developing all the sheets

Question Grafmatic back and not developing all the sheets

Hello all, I hope this will be a quick question. I have just got hold of a grafmatic film holder. I have not used it yet, and was thinking that if I only exposed, say, four sheets how would I know in the darkroom which ones had been exposed? Presumably, this would be the four just below the dark slide when opened?

Also I was thinking if I were to want to develop some sheets N, N-1 etc it would be tricky knowing which ones are which.

Does anybody do this or is it that difficult no-one is silly enough to try?

I am happy with the plain old double dark slides, I thought I would just give these a try to save space but in hindsight perhaps it wasn't such a good idea.

Thanks.

Re: Grafmatic back and not developing all the sheets

There should be a counter on the Grafamatic that counts the number of exposures. The system also exposes a corresponding number at the edge of the emulsion.

So presumeably you are doing good notes to know which need which development, then take those notes to determine the requirements for the sheets depending upon where in the stack they are.

They remain in order, the holder just shuffles them so the order at the end of the shuffling is the same as the order in the beginning. If you stop mid "shuffle", then remove the number of unexposed sheets, and pull the remaining ones out and they will be in the order exposed, along with the number of the edge of the emulsion to confirm that after they are developed.

Hope that helps,

Len

The exposed sheets are at the rear of the compartment. In other words, when you open the Grafmatic the four exposed sheets will be on top of the unexposed sheets.
    Just be sure to replace the septums prior to trying to use the Grafmatic again, even if they are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The exposed sheets are at the rear of the compartment. In other words, when you open the Grafmatic the four exposed sheets will be on top of the unexposed sheets.
    Just be sure to replace the septums prior to trying to use the Grafmatic again, even if they are empty.
    This is true if you shuffle all the way through.

If you stop in the middle of a shuffle and open it up, then the exposed sheets will be in the fixed part of the back and the unexposed should be in the moving / shuffling section under the darkslide.

Try it and see for yourself.

Regards,

Len

If, after taking shot number 4, you have cycled the back so that 5 is now showing on the counter and you pull out the tray and uncover it in the darkroom, the unexposed 5 is on top of the unexposed 6 followed by the exposed 1, 2, 3, and 4 in that order.

Thanks everybody for your help. The only thing is that if I read what you all had to say at once I suspect all I would do is get confused..! I'll have a go with the lights on to be sure I get it...

Thanks
    Jon

Exactly!!

Try it with a scrap piece of film in one of the septums and try it.

3d Visual Effects artist

you'll get used to how they work pretty quickly! I've been using a few of them with my speedgraphic, they are quite nice! At first it's a little perplexing how they work, but you get used to it quickly.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I use grafmatics extensively.
    Let me tell you it is not worth trying to save few pennies and exposed only three or four sheets, you end up mixed up and risk loosing your most beautiful shot by double exposure later or many other things like that happen when opening the mechanism before six shots..
    Expose the darn six films , bracket a little or take an extra shot.
    I use the grafmatics for architectural work and I almost use each grafmatic as a single shot by bracketing a couple of shots extensively ,it is worth it believe me .

Good luck

Luis

I use grafmatics extensively.
    Let me tell you it is not worth trying to save few pennies and exposed only three or four sheets, you end up mixed up and risk loosing your most beautiful shot by double exposure later or many other things like that happen when opening the mechanism before six shots..
    Expose the darn six films , bracket a little or take an extra shot.
    I use the grafmatics for architectural work and I almost use each grafmatic as a single shot by bracketing a couple of shots extensively ,it is worth it believe me .

Good luck

Luis