Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got strange artifacts testing Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Re: Got strange artifacts testing Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6

Bjorn, oldeur: it doesn't look to me like some light entered at the top for this is a dark spot. Besides, the construction of the slot holding film in Combi-Plan is pretty straightforward and there's nothing that could produce such quirks at the side of the sheet. I tend to agree this is caused by the sticky shutter blade.

The trouble I have with reasoning is that in case of a sticking shutter-blade and just one showing op in the picture would mean a broken shutter-blade.

When looking at the picture I see a stream going of the mountauin in the "dubble" exposed part. This could be caused by a clear drop of something acting as an extra lens.

I guess I you will have to exame the negative with a magnifier glas and see if I am right.
    In that case the lens would have to be cleaned.

My 2 cents,
    Peter

Well, as you're shooting at f/32 this means that the shutter blade have to be totally stuck in order to show in the picture and still I'm not at all sure that it would show at all. I've also seen some pictures where some lens components were heavily damaged (read "smashed!!!") and all that happened was a bit of softness and flare, while the undamaged parts of your pictures seem very sharp and contrasty.
    But without the lens at hand, it's very hard to guess what's wrong. As you shoot at long times, you can unmount the front/back of the lens and test the shutter over and over again until you've found an error or find that you can trust the shutter. You can of course test the lens at f/5.6. But also make sure that there isn't a defect (bended blade or such) in some of the aperture or shutter-blades so that they occaionally catch in each other.

In the other end, there's the matter of Efke film as such. Their QC isn't famous for being the best in the world. While their films have a lot of personality, we all have to live with the fact that the film from time to time can be faulty. Many of us have had only success, but there are quite a few reports on various issues with Efke film (under various names...). Don't get me wrong here, I use Efke/Adox film myself and love it when it's good. Nor have I had any mishaps with the film which I couldn't trace to the "shit behind the steering wheel" syndrom.

//Björn

A stuck shutter blade is completely out of focus, not local like this. If the shutter hangs partly open, you get a light mark, not dark. This is something obstructing light, something inside the camera possibly, or maybe the cable release in front of the lens. I've seen something similar if the dark cloth is hanging partly over the lens.

I agree with James E Galvin. It doesn't look like a lens problem.

Well, as far as one can tell from seeing those pictures it must be uneven development. The areas that are darker (in the print) did not get in touch with the developer in the appropriate way. For example, 2 sheets being placed too close together by accident. And the shape of the "imperfections" really look like that.

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    Well, as you're shooting at f/32 this means that the shutter blade have to be totally stuck in order to show in the picture and still I'm not at all sure that it would show at all. I've also seen some pictures where some lens components were heavily damaged (read "smashed!!!") and all that happened was a bit of softness and flare, while the undamaged parts of your pictures seem very sharp and contrasty.
    But without the lens at hand, it's very hard to guess what's wrong. As you shoot at long times, you can unmount the front/back of the lens and test the shutter over and over again until you've found an error or find that you can trust the shutter. You can of course test the lens at f/5.6. But also make sure that there isn't a defect (bended blade or such) in some of the aperture or shutter-blades so that they occaionally catch in each other.
    Thanks for the detailed response. I have been trying to burst my way through a backlog of work recently and didn't try to unmount the lens. I decided to return it to the seller while I'm still eligible for refund. There's another reason that motivated me to do so: I've found Fujinon rendition in color to be vastly different from my other lens - Rodenstock. I much prefer more gentle character of the Rodenstock. So I think I'll stick to German glass for now. I bought the 120mm Super Symmar HM from Peter in the classifieds as a replacement for Fujinon and it should arrive in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    In the other end, there's the matter of Efke film as such. Their QC isn't famous for being the best in the world. While their films have a lot of personality, we all have to live with the fact that the film from time to time can be faulty. Many of us have had only success, but there are quite a few reports on various issues with Efke film (under various names...). Don't get me wrong here, I use Efke/Adox film myself and love it when it's good. Nor have I had any mishaps with the film which I couldn't trace to the "shit behind the steering wheel" syndrom.

//Björn
    Good point. It occurred to me too.

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Quote Originally Posted by oldeur View Post
    Well, as far as one can tell from seeing those pictures it must be uneven development. The areas that are darker (in the print) did not get in touch with the developer in the appropriate way. For example, 2 sheets being placed too close together by accident. And the shape of the "imperfections" really look like that.
    I'd rather rule out this possibility. I put sheets facing the side of the tank. When I opened the lid I saw the sheets were positioned OK. They came from the two different batches. Thanks anyway!

I'd call myself an experienced LF user, darkroom included, and with this being my last attempt I want to insist on what I said before. Already the shape of the dark zone tells me that something went wrong in the lab. I had similar things happening- now I use a tray for development and the yankee tank for rinse only. Good luck!

looks all the world like a light leak to me.....

Eric in Calgary