Thread: Arca M - F-Metric interchangeability?

Arca M - F-Metric interchangeability?

Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier? I can do some machining if required, and if it comes down to it, I can use an older A/B function carrier -- but I'd really like to use it on a F-Metric carrier if possible.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Cool Re: Arca M - F-Metric interchangeability?

Bob Atkinson of Precision Camera is your man. Google Arca and you will find his website and phone, etc. Best to call him, but he does a lot of work on Arca and will know the answer.

Re: Arca M - F-Metric interchangeability?

Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier? I

Yes, no problem, but doing so you loose the vertical shift.
    There are no sliding parts on a M-line frame. The M-line frame is just a plain rigid frame with the same attachements for lens panels, bellows of ground glass intermediate graflok frames.
    But of course you'll keep the geared horizontal shift provided by the F-metric function carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    Is it possible to mount or adapt an M-Line format frame onto an F-Metric function carrier?
    John, I just tried mounting an M-Line format frame on an F-Metric function carrier, and did not see any problem, it works. However, some minor adjustments might be necessary due to manufacturing tolerance. Just send me a PM if you need any further helps. Ling

Thank you all for your help. That is good news indeed.

Ling, thank you for your offer of help. The M-Line frame should arrive in a few days, so I'll contact you then if I need help installing it.

I'm also halfway through making a 5x12 frame from two 4x5 F-Classic frames, a project that I began without much thought as to how I was going to attach it to my function carriers. It looks like I'll be able to attach this frame as well to my F-Metric carrier without much trouble; good news again. I'll post some pics of the custom frame when it's finished.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon