Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No.2 Kodak Supermatic and Flash?

No.2 Kodak Supermatic and Flash?

Pictured is my new speed graphic.

The lens is a 127mm f/4.7 Ektar, in a No.2 Kodak Supermatic, that thing looks like a flash sync to me and comes with a cord with that comes off in two parallel prongs, i tried wiring it up to my flash sync cord direct to a flash, but it doesnt seem to even trip the flash at all.

I assumed it was a flash sync, am I wrong? I supposed I cant get X-sync without replacing the shutter?

Re: No.2 Kodak Supermatic and Flash?

Well, you're both right and wrong. What your cord is hooked up to appears to be a siloniod (spelling might be off) that is used to sync the old Graphic flash gun (with bulbs) when used to fire the shutter. In use the cord ran to the flash gun which had a "fire" button on it and a flash bulb in its top...when you pushed the button the flash fired and the shutter tripped some miliseconds later when the fired bulb had reached full power. Its been many years since I used one of those, but I think I got it right.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Its been many years since I used one of those, but I think I got it right.
    Other than the spelling of solenoid you've got it. Could have been either a Graflex or a Heiland flash handle, though.

Told 'ya I couldn't spell!!! At least I've got a little of my memory left!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Other than the spelling of solenoid you've got it. Could have been either a Graflex or a Heiland flash handle, though.
    Or a Kalart; or a Sun. If o.p. would like to see it work, rig up a coupla 1.5 v batteries, cock the shutter, then get some wire and touch it to the "household" plug. I'll bet that shutter fires.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cahill View Post
    Or a Kalart; or a Sun. If o.p. would like to see it work, rig up a coupla 1.5 v batteries, cock the shutter, then get some wire and touch it to the "household" plug. I'll bet that shutter fires.
    Hrrm, sounds like it might be possible to make an x-sync from that if it does..

You'd have to figure out a way to make it fire the shutter and the strobe at the same time instead of delaying the flash as the SOLENOID is designed to do. Heh, Heh, Heh...spelled it right, didn't I!!!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That might be tough -- since the delay is a function of the solenoid stroke length. I don't know if one could adjust the solenoid to such a small stroke length to correspond with the X delay. Never tried it... I prefer just using flash bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Pictured is my new speed graphic.

The lens is a 127mm f/4.7 Ektar, in a No.2 Kodak Supermatic, that thing looks like a flash sync to me and comes with a cord with that comes off in two parallel prongs, i tried wiring it up to my flash sync cord direct to a flash, but it doesnt seem to even trip the flash at all.

I assumed it was a flash sync, am I wrong? I supposed I cant get X-sync without replacing the shutter?
    My understanding is that some supermatics had x-sync, and some didn't. If you want to use a flash, you'll probably need a shutter with some sort of flash electrical connection on it. These will be either a round PC flash connection or the twin round prongs like the solenoid has.

Athiril, That Is A Solenoid. The Shutter You Heed Is The Flash Suprematic With The F&m Flash Sync Slide Set At F For X Syinc. I Have Three Of These And They All Syinc X Flash When The Slide Is Set On F. I Think You Can Have Your Shutter (by A Professional) Fixed To Fire On X Syinc. Or As Brian Said Use Bulbs. Good Luck Joe A