Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Loving Texas

Hi from Loving Texas

I've been interested in photography for years. I started in the 1970's with 35mm and a medium format Yashica Mat camera, doing B&W and color darkroom film processing.

Large Format has always been an interest of mine since my father got me a copy of the 1971 edition of "Photographer's Mate 3 & 2" training manual. Chapter 12 covered the Graphic View II Camera. It went into the features and functionality and my impression was "Why would anyone serious about photography not use a View Camera ?"

I presently own a Sigma SD14 dSLR chosen because it's Foveon 20.7 x 13.8mm imager employs stacked photosites with out a Bayer filter mask nor an anti aliasing (soft focus) filter.

I'm here to learn about large format photography, I'm sure things have evolved since 1971, and with a bit of luck, to be able to get into it.

Re: Hi from Loving Texas

Welcome to group therepy! Get yourself one of those Graphic View II cameras (the II has the Graflok back) and join the fun. That camera is often sold quite cheaply and is still a good view camera.

Richard M. Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    I'm sure things have evolved since 1971, and with a bit of luck, to be able to get into it.
    Welcome, Steaphany from Loving Texas!

Not much has changed since 1971, or 1871, as far as LF goes!

Enjoy yourself and remember, we're here to help.

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

There are quite a few resources on the site's main page; I wouldn't try to get through all of them in one sitting, but there's a fairly good introduction there. My own personal favorite all-in-one introductory resource is Steve Simmons' book on using the view camera (I think that's the title, too: Using the View Camera.) He's publisher of the magazine, View Camera, and if you can't find the book at a book store (most of the majors have it, on and off,) you can order it from his web site, www.viewcamera.com. At least, you used to be able to do so. I see that his site design has changed, and not for the better. *Sigh*

Starting with a view camera is not expensive. A 4x5 monorail camera, a "normal" 150mm lens and a few film holders are the basics and can be found inexpensively. Once you've been a member here for a while you'll have access to the "for sale" forums. There's also Ebay which, apparently singularly, I find to be extraordinarily useful and inexpensive. The cheapest I've gotten a camera there was $27 for an old Calumet CC400 4x5 monorail, which turned out to be an excellent camera. I paid $57 for an old Fujinon 150mm lens, $5 each for some old wooden film holders, and for less than $100 (plus my existing tripod, light meter, etc.) and film I was in business.

If that isn't your cup of java, call Jim and Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) and tell him that you're looking for a cheap intro to large format. He can often find something buried in dust in the back room and outfit you complete for extremely good prices.

Other than that, we used to tell folks to start with Polaroid film so you could see your mistakes immediately, but they're gone now and your only choice for instant films would be Fuji. You need a special film holder and instant film has always been expensive but opposed to that, processing your own B&W film in your bathroom is very simple and inexpensive to do, perhaps you'd be interested in that. The final alternative is to find someplace to process your film for you and not every town has someone set up to do 4x5 film. If you have one locally, you're lucky.

Welcome to the funhouse!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I was aware of View Camera magazine and occasionally pick up an issue at a near by book store.

Wow, I had no idea that getting into large format could be so affordable.

Yes, I have been looking on ebay - I just need to familiarize myself with the brands, models, and features of various equipment so I'll know what I'm buying and to know in advance if it will do what I need.

Here's my first real question. I've been browsing the Digital Hardware topics (haven't yet tried a search) and I have not seen any posts regarding large format digital image capture.

Is anyone here experienced with the Better Light digital scanning backs and are there any other large format digital image capture devices on the market ?

Welcome, Steaphany!

There are lots of LF shooters in Texas.

Welcome to the forum and to LF.

Check out KEH Camera Brokers for an idea of current prices. Lots of deals currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    Is anyone here experienced with the Better Light digital scanning backs and are there any other large format digital image capture devices on the market ?
    I think you'll find that the affordability of large format comes to an abrupt halt when considering digital image capture. Also, there are some serious technological limitations. For static subjects (such as product photography in a studio), the scanning backs work well. But if there is movement in the subject during the scanning process, strange things can happen.

There is an ethos to large-format work that you have to buy into, or it becomes frustrating. That ethos requires slowing things down and considering each image comprehensively before making the exposure. It takes a long time to set up a view camera to fulfill your visualization of a photograph, and it's only worth doing for photographs that are motivated by a strong visualization. The result of that is that you don't make very many exposures. This is the exact opposite of digital photography, where the marginal cost of experimentation is just about zero.

The point of all that is that you usually don't have much film to have to process. You can load film holders, unload them, and box them up to ship them off to a lab for processing. Or you can tray-develop your own black-and-white pretty easily in a simple darkroom. Then, pop it into an Epson flatbed and take it from there digitally.

The challenging part for me has been to identify ways to get lab work done easily and affordably. The "easy" part is a personal problem--getting off dead center. I have a pile of stuff to send off and just can't seem to pick a lab and mail it. But as big as that pile seems to me, it's really a couple of dozen sheets and several rolls of film. Again, large-format cameras don't generate a zillion exposures the way digital does.

Rick "Loving, as in the Pecos Valley?" Denney

Octogenarian

Just discovered that there are two towns called Loving in the state of Texas. Wouldn't you know it?

You probably live in the one nearer to El Paso. Is that correct?

I'm from the Loving that's South of Wichita Falls and North of Graham:

Google Map