Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technica Replacement Bellow

Linhof Technica Replacement Bellow

I have a Linhof Master Technica Classic and the bellow is aged. I would like to replace with a new one. But I learnt that the original Linhof one is easy to get aged after years of usage. I'm looking for a replacement with better durability even under very cold condition, say -30 C. Would like to hear from any good recommendations.

Re: Linhof Technica Replacement Bellow

My lightly used Technika IV is on its third bellows (at about $400 a pop). The bellows on my 1928 Zeiss Maximar is still perfect, as are those on my elderly Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphics. Apparently this is not unusual.
    IMO the one major improvement that Linhof could make to the Technika would be an interchangable bellows, as fitted to their monorails.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill,

Your camera is between 53 and 46 years old. How do you know how heavily or lightly it was used over all those years?

Storage conditions and use are as important as any other conditions on how well a bellows stands up.

And, as pointed out last time you made this statement, the Technika bellows handles all lenses that can mount on the camera with full movements from 35mm to over 360mm. Why would they make it interchangeable? You never answered last time .

Quote Originally Posted by gchu1970 View Post
    I have a Linhof Master Technica Classic and the bellow is aged. I would like to replace with a new one. But I learnt that the original Linhof one is easy to get aged after years of usage. I'm looking for a replacement with better durability even under very cold condition, say -30 C. Would like to hear from any good recommendations.
    The only replacement that will perform with all lenses from 35mm to over 360mm and allow all movements and permit the camera to close properly is a Linhof Technika bellows.
    The Master Technika was introduced in 1972 so your bellows could be up to 37 years old. Over that time it could wear out, depending on age, storage and use.
    The Master Technika Classic name came about with the introduction of the Master Technika 2000 in 1995. How old is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Bill,

Your camera is between 53 and 46 years old. How do you know how heavily or lightly it was used over all those years?

Storage conditions and use are as important as any other conditions on how well a bellows stands up.

And, as pointed out last time you made this statement, the Technika bellows handles all lenses that can mount on the camera with full movements from 35mm to over 360mm. Why would they make it interchangeable? You never answered last time .
    Bob, it's true that I don't know how it was used before I got it (only a few years after it was built). But I've had two new bellows since then. It is lightly used, kept in air conditioned space with moderate humidity, and the problem was dry rot, not wear and tear. The current bellows is about 5 years old, and so-far-so-good, but the two previous bellows seemed fine one day, and then virtually crumbled.
    The bellows of my Kardon-Color 45S (purchased new from Lens and Repro in the 1970s and stored on a shelf next to the Technika) continues to be in perfect working condition. I've never needed another bellows for my personal range of lenses from 90mm to 360mm, but there's a bag bellows if I do.
    To answer your question: they would make it interchangeable, because it is apparently the one weak link in an otherwise bulletproof design, and could be easily implemented.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Bob, it's true that I don't know how it was used before I got it (only a few years after it was built). But I've had two new bellows since then. It is lightly used, kept in air conditioned space with moderate humidity, and the problem was dry rot, not wear and tear. The current bellows is about 5 years old, and so-far-so-good, but the two previous bellows seemed fine one day, and then virtually crumbled.
    The bellows of my Kardon-Color 45S (purchased new from Lens and Repro in the 1970s and stored on a shelf next to the Technika) continues to be in perfect working condition. I've never needed another bellows for my personal range of lenses from 90mm to 360mm, but there's a bag bellows if I do.
    To answer your question: they would make it interchangeable, because it is apparently the one weak link in an otherwise bulletproof design, and could be easily implemented.
    Bill,

If we get 10 requests for a new bellows a year it is a lot. Historically it simply has not been a problem.

I just (May 2009) replaced the bellows of my Technika V with new ones supplied by Custom Bellows in England. Apparently they make (or made) bellows for Linhof.

Cost was 120 pounds plus an extra 10 for shipping. Once the money was transferred I received the bellows a week or so later. Installation was straight forward. Camera still closes just like it always did. (I thought I'd read somewhere that some of those available from auction sites didn't compress to the same degree.)

My contact was with Keith.

keithlowe@custombellows.co.uk

I have a Master Technika that I bought used in 1993. The original camera bellowes are still very much OK in spite of heavy usage. But the bellows like stuff in the folding viewer has deterioeted into a black cloth and some black tar like rubber residue. Bob Salomon might tell us how old the camera is: serial No. 6451720

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    I have a Master Technika that I bought used in 1993. The original camera bellowes are still very much OK in spite of heavy usage. But the bellows like stuff in the folding viewer has deterioeted into a black cloth and some black tar like rubber residue. Bob Salomon might tell us how old the camera is: serial No. 6451720

If you don't care about cosmetics or using the extreme lenses, the folding viewfinder and 12" bellows from a Crown/Speed Graphic can be adapted to the Technika by a skilled technician or careful amateur. You can still find mint Crown Graphics to use as parts cameras for peanuts.